the 24 years <during which?> I've been doing

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jacki221, Oct 10, 2011.

1. jacki221 Junior Member

Korean
    Hi, guys:)
    While listening a talk show, I bumped into a sentence whose structure isn't familiar to me.
    Which is Of all the 24 years I've been doing this show, this is one of my all-time favorite stories.
    Seems like it means "I've been doing this show for 24 years and this is one of my all-time favorites."
    So I'm wondering is it possible to insert during which like this.
    Of all the 24 years during which I've been doing this show, this is one of my all-time favorites.
    I'm trying to understand the structure of this sentence by using relatives, but I'm not sure about what I'm trying now.
    So, if my approach is wrong, could you tell me how I analyze this sentence?
    Thanks in advance:)

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Hello, jacki221. :)

Your approach to the problem is good. You are right that the first part of sentence doesn't fit with the second. The speaker began with one construction and then changed, and finished with another. The opening phrase introduces a comparison of years, the main clause compares stories. People often switch grammatical constructions this way when they speak. However, I don't think you will fix the problem by adding "during which" by itself.

There are quite a few ways of rewriting this sentence to make the first and second parts consistent. Here are two possibilities.

Of all the 24 years I've been doing this show, this is the year during which I heard the best story.
    Of all the stories I heard in the 24 years I've been doing this show, this is one of my all-time favorites.

3. jacki221 Junior Member

Korean
    Cagey, I think I got it now. Thank you so much for your help:)
    And is it okay if I ask you another slightly related question..?
    If we just look at only the first part of the sentence, Of the 24 years I've been doing this show, for me it looks like a relative clause.
    So, if I'm right, what relative pronoun or adverbs do I need to put in?

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    "Of the 24 years I've been doing this show" is not in itself a relative clause. It is a prepositional phrase, though a long one. It does contain a relative clause, which you correctly identified.
    Of all the 24 years
    [during which I've been doing this show]

but as you can see, the relative clause modifies 'years', and years is the object of the preposition.
    Without the relative clause, you can see the structure more clearly, and the problem with the sentence.

Of all the 24 years, this is one of my all-time favorite stories.

It doesn't make sense to say Of all the years, this is my favorite story.
    You can say:

Of all the years, this is my favorite year.
    Or
    Of all the stories, this is my favorite story.

5. jacki221 Junior Member

Korean
    Thank you so much for your kindness, Cagey:)
    Have a good day~