The breakfast is rich/abundant

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Silverobama, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Silverobama

Silverobama Senior Member

Chongqing
    Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hi,

I'd like to know about these two words "rich" and "abundant" and here is a situation I want to use:

Today's breakfast is rich/abundant, we have milk, orange juice, bread, sandwiches and fruit.

I know both words mean more than enough, but I don't know which is better in this situation, to mean that the breakfast is really nice.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot

2. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Rich, in the context of food, means that something is high in fat and sugar. That doesn't apply here.

Abundant could work, though there may be better words. I can't think of any right now - it's too late in my time zone. Perhaps others will.

3. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    "Abundant" sounds rather odd. What's wrong with "really nice?" (your words) There are many words that mean "really nice," e.g. "superb."

4. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    sdgraham is right. But if you want to draw attention to the abundance of food on offer, then you could use words like 'generous' or 'lavish' or 'substantial'.

There are still others, I'm sure . . .

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    "Generous" is the word that came to mind for me. (Actually, what came to my mind is "too much"; bread and sandwiches?)

6. Crockett

Crockett Senior Member

Tucson, Arizona
    US English
    I thought of 'plenty.' "There is plenty of breakfast today."

7. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    "Rich" doesn't work here, for the reasons explained by Egmont (post 2).

"Abundant" sounds odd, Silver. You list milk, oranges, bread, sandwiches and fruit, so perhaps you mean that there was a wide choice of things to have for breakfast. Or perhaps you mean that you received all the items listed and that you consequently had a large breakfast.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  8. Silverobama

Chongqing
    I wanted to mean that there was a wide choice of things to have for breakfast and I felt very happy because I had such a lot food to eat.

So, which word is better here?

Thanks a lot

9. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    "This is a really square breakfast!"

Best.

GS

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  10. Silverobama

Chongqing
    I don't want to mean there is too much food to eat, I just want to say that only today can I eat so much food, and I couldn't eat so many food besides today, I felt very happy.

11. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    I suggest you see Parla's response. (#5)

12. Silverobama

Chongqing
    And according to the Chinese dictionary, I put Chinese into it and I got English result and here are some possible choice:

nice, superb, big.

I think "big" is quite colloquial.

And also it seems to have a film called "a fancy dinner".

13. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    What is "it?" - the Chinese dictionary?

14. Silverobama

Chongqing
    I am sorry. "It" refers to "Chinese-English dictionary".

You put a Chinese word in it and you can have an English one.

15. Resa Reader Senior Member

To add another adjective to the list - what about an ample breakfast? At least this is what you'd find a lot in advertisements for hotel breakfasts.

16. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

SW London
    British English
    Well, the word 'nice' should be banned and 'big' is really feeble, to be used only by those whose English is very limited indeed and when there really is no other choice. I suggest 'copious'.

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/copious

If you want to emphasis how good it tasted you could use 'delicious' too.

'Fancy' can be used for food, but to my mind it has negative connotations. It suggests over ornate or over elaborate or complicated, somehow unnecessary silliness, rather than really good. Tomatoes cut into rose shapes for example, in European cooking. There's a lot of 'fancy' in fine dining and cuisine these days. Something else I would describe as 'fancy' is taking the skin off peas and beans, not to mention peeling tomatoes and cucumbers. I am sure everybody has their own ideas what fancy means. I don't know what it means in a film title.

:) Hermione

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  17. My favourite is one of heypresto's suggestions, which is just about perfect. . .

. . .substantial.

Rover

18. GretchenPlay Senior Member

Yang yang, South Korea
    New Zealand, NZE
    What on earth is wrong with abundant?
    NOTHING!

There was an abundance of fancy treats on the table this morning, and i was delighted!

19. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    The concept of abundance is of course the right one. However, something didn't quite sound right with "Today's breakfast is abundant." In that phrase, what single word will have the right and complete meaning - encompassing both amount and selection? There may not be a perfect word for this phrase.
    Ample, copious, substantial, extensive all come close.

20. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    After re-reading Silver's sentence "Today's breakfast is rich/abundant, (we have milk, orange juice, bread, sandwiches and fruit.)" I'm tempted to say that what leaves us rather "cold" about the solutions proposed is only marginally related to the adjectives: what is not completely "natural" is the structure of the sentence. The positioning of the adjective at the end of the sentence makes the whole complex slightly blunt.
    Maybe something like "We're having a really Adj breakfast today; ... ...".
    To fill the position of the adjective, I'd put forward: superb and square.

Best.

GS

21. vvujun

vvujun Junior Member

Changsha, China
    Chinese-Mainland
    What a strange discussion! So many different solutions. I think except rich and fancy, all solutions should be OK.

22. Silver's breakfast - 'milk, orange juice, bread, sandwiches and fruit' is at best adequate (or ample, as Resa Reader suggested).

For a breakfast to be described as rich, abundant, generous, lavish, copious, extensive etc it would need to include - in addition to the above - a wide selection of cereals, cold meats and cheeses, fried bacon, sausages, black pudding, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns, and eggs (with a choice of fried, poached, scrambled or boiled).

Rover

23. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Having enjoyed many English breakfasts, I think the perfect word for the one you just described, in addition to the others would be "Full" - at least it is commonly used in hotels and B&Bs!
    However, if even having breakfast was a rare thing in a country where food might be scarce, for example, then perhaps those adjectives might be appropriate for the menu in the first post :D That's a perspective issue. The OP indicated that rich and abundant were already good choices, so the perspective has been set...
    I agree with part of the problem being the constuction.

24. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    What about "heavy"? When I said "This is a heavy breakfast", would you take it to mean the same as "A rich breakfast, high in fat and sugar"?

25. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    A heavy breakfast is one that keeps reminding you of its presence in your stomach throughout the day, RG:cool:

26. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you, ewie. For me, two servings of fish and chips for breakfast would achieve that heavy feeling for the rest of the day. And that feeling would probably be compounded by the constipation that follows.:)

27. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Bit too much detail there, RG:D