1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

The call is coming from inside the house

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sawdust, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Sawdust Junior Member

Lithuanian
    Hi!

I have a problem to understand the expression "the call is coming from inside the house".
    Here's the background.
    Two women talking.
    (A) Now, you tell me what it is you don’t like about the talented Mister Wimpley, and I’ll tell you how to change it.
    (B) Okay. He takes pictures of me sleeping. He thinks that’s beautiful. To me, it’s a little (WHISPERS) “the call is coming from inside the house.”

Is it phone ringing? I guess not... something like an invitation or scream?

Thanks!

2. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    It's a movie reference from When a Stranger Calls:
    "High school student Jill Johnson is traumatized over an evening of babysitting by a caller who repeatedly asks, 'Have you checked the children lately?' After notifying the police, Jill is told that the calls are coming from inside the house." [IMDb]

The threatening presence is not outside, but actually in your house with you. This is of course a frightening and creepy thought. This man's behaviour makes her feel as if she is living with a hidden psychopath.

3. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
  4. mplsray Senior Member

The movie was based on an urban legend.

From Snopes.com

5. preppie Senior Member

Mid Atlantic, US
    American English (Mostly MidAtlantic)
    To bring the question to full circle, her reference is that the man, Mr Wimpley, is inside her house and is making her nervous. She feels that he is a threat.

6. Schmizzkazz Senior Member

Badischer Schwarzwald
    German - Southern German
    I remember that urban legend. It impressed me a lot!

7. menlovemen Junior Member

French (France)
    Your quote, from "Will & Grace", means that he is a creep as he takes sleeping pictures of her. It's as everyone said, a reference to the film, meaning that she feels like she has let the stalker inside her house and as he's in, she's no lnoger protected.