The car carries a cargo

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    How would you translate that sentence? (My focus is the number of different verb roots you will be needing)
    (1) The car carries a load.

Slight variation:
    (1a) With my car/cart I transport a cargo/ load.

IN Dutch:
    (1) Mijn auto/ wagen draagt/ vervoert [much better] een lading. [No etymological links]
    (1a) Met mijn auto/ kar vervoer ik een lading.

2. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Finnish.

(1) Auto / vaunu kuljettaa kuorman.
    (1a) Kuljetan kuorman autolla / siirrän kuorman autolla.

Kuljettaa (transport, carry) comes from the same root as kulkea (to go, to pass...). You could interprete it as 'to make it go'. Siirtää literally means "to move" but it can also mean "to transport".

3. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:

(1) The car carries a load:
    «To αυτοκίνητο/αμάξι φέρει φορτίο» [to afto'cinito 'feri for'ti.o] or [to a'maksi 'feri for'ti.o]

Neut. noun «αυτοκίνητο» [afto'cinito] --> automobile < Classical adj. «αὐτοκίνητος, -τος, -τον» autŏkínētŏs (masc. & fem.), autŏkínētŏn (neut.) --> self- moved; compound, oblique root «αὐτο-» autŏ- (also an anaphorical pronoun of the 3rd person) --> self (PIE *h₂eu-, again + PIE *to-, that) + Classical v. «κῑνέω/κῑνῶ» kīnéō (uncontracted) / kīnô (uncontracted) --> to set in movement, drive away, shake (PIE *ḱeih₂-, to set in motion).

Neut. noun «αμάξι» [a'maksi] --> car < Byz. Gr. neuter noun «ἁμάξιον» amáksion --> cart < Classical fem. noun «ἅμαξα» hámāksā --> chassis of a four-wheeled wagon, wagon; compound, prefix, preposition, and adv. «ἅμα» hámā --> at the same time with, together with (PIE *sem-, one) + Classical 3rd declension masc. noun «ἄξων» áksōn --> axle, axis (PIE *h₂eḱs-, axis).

Both «αυτοκίνητο» [afto'cinito] & «αμάξι» [a'maksi] are equally used in the vernacular for car.

Both, «φέρω» ['fero] (verb) --> to carry, bear & «φορτίο» [for'ti.o] (neut.) --> load, cargo, come from the same root, PIE *bʰer-, to bear, carry cf Skt भरति (bhArati); Lat. ferre; OCS бьрати > Russ. брать (brat); Proto-Germanic *beraną > Ger. Burde, Eng. bear.

(1a) With my car/cart I transport a cargo/ load:
    «Mε το αυτοκίνητο/αμάξι μεταφέρω φορτίο» [me to afto'cinito meta'fero for'ti.o] or [me to a'maksi meta'fero for'ti.o]

V. «μεταφέρω» [meta'fero] --> to transport, transfer < Classical v. «μεταφέρω» mĕtăpʰérō --> to transport, transfer, translate; compound, prefix, preposition, and adv. «μετὰ» mĕtà --> in the midst, afterwards, between, with, after (PIE *meth₂-, in the midst, between, after) + v. «φέρω» pʰérō

4. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech:

1) Vůz (automobil, auto) veze náklad.
    1a) Svým vozem převážím náklad.

vez-, voz-, váž- (< *váz-j-) are various grades of the same root.

5. ahmedcowon Senior Member

Arabic:
    1) تحمل السيارة حمولة/شحنة (taħmelu as-sayyāratu ħomoulatan\shoħnatan)
    1a) بسيارتي أنقل حمولة/شحنة (be-sayyārati anqelu ħomoulatan\shoħnatan)

Egyptian Arabic:
    1) العربية شايلة حمولة/شحنة (el-3arabiyya shayla ħmoula\shoħna)
    1a) بأنقل حمولة/شحنة بعربيتي (ban'el ħomoula\shoħna be-3arabeiti)

The word "3arabiyya" is the name of the language "Arabic\Arab" but in Egypt, we use it also to mean "car"

6. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    The car carries a load – машина везёт груз /mashina veziot gruz/
    The truck carries a load - грузовик везёт груз /gruzovik veziot gruz/

With my car I transport a cargo/ load - Я везу груз на машине /ya vezu gruz na mashine/

With my cart (?) I transport a cargo/ load - Я везу груз на тележке /ya vezu gruz na telezhke/
    With my truck I transport a cargo/ load - Я везу груз на грузовике /ya vezu gruz na gruzovike/

-gruz- / -gruzh- is the root meaning “load, weight”; it also is the root of the word "truck".
    -vez- / -voz- is the root meaning "carry/transport/drive, like in Czech.

7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    So in Arabic there are no common roots, are there?

In general I suppose a lorry might contain another similar word, based on the same root. IN Dutch we call it a vrachtwagen, in which you recognize the English freight...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  8. ahmedcowon Senior Member

car (sayyāra) is from the root "s-y-r" (to walk)
    it carries (taħmel) and load/cargo (ħomoula) are from the root "ħ-m-l" (to carry, to load)
    I transport (anqel) is from the root "n-q-l" (to transport, to transfer)
    freight (shoħna) and lorry/truck (shāħina) are from the root "sh-ħ-n" (to charge)

And in Egyptian Arabic, we use a different root "sh-y-l" for (to carry)

9. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Hebrew
    המכונית נושאת משא hamechonit noset masa

10. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    So, no similarities at all, Arielipi ?

11. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek it does, lorry is «φορτηγό» [forti'ɣo] (neut.) < Classical masc. noun «φορτηγός» pʰŏrtēgós --> one who carries cargoes, merchant < compound, Classical Gr. masc. noun «φόρτος» pʰórtŏs --> heavy load, freight (PIE *bʰer-, to bear, carry cf Skt भरति (bhArati); Lat. ferre; OCS бьрати > Russ. брать (brat); Proto-Germanic *beraną > Ger. Burde, Eng. bear) + Classical Gr. v. «ἄγω» ágō --> to drive, lead, bring, carry (PIE *h₂eǵ-, to drive, lead cf Skt. अज (aja), driver, mover).
    And the freighter (i.e. the cargo ship) is «φορτηγίδα» [forti'ʝiða] (fem.) < Koine Gr. 3rd declension feminine form «φορτηγίς» pʰŏrtēgís of masc. «φορτηγός» pʰŏrtēgós

12. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Carries and load are from the same root.

13. Sempervirens Senior Member

italiano

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  14. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Make it המשאית נושאת משא and all three are of the same root נשא = to carry.

15. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I don't see the link, I am sorry, I just saw three different words.... Can you help?

16. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    The problem is you wont really say masa unless its a living thing; otherwise youd say מטען mit'an

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  17. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    That is a distinction we have too, so we thought, but it is different: carry, dragen, with our hands vs. transport, vervoeren, the persons and the load, using a vehicle..

As for Hebrew/ I don't see the common root here:

18. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    There are several synonyms for each of the Hebrew words. It's possible to construct a natural sentence where all words are of the same root (see my comment above) or only two of the three (arielipi's). Different word selection results in a slightly different meaning in regard to the car type, how it carries, the cargo type.