1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

The cleverest animals after man

Discussion in 'English Only' started by yasir_ahmad, Mar 17, 2011.

1. yasir_ahmad Junior Member

Indonesian - English
    I find this,
    For many years people believed that the cleverest animals after man were the chimpanzees. Now, however, there is proof that dolphins may be even cleverer than these big apes.

Why can man be compared to animals?
    It uses superlative degree of comparison which I think should be the comparison among animals themselves and the cleverest is the chimpanzees.

(Source: Eudia Grace . Th M. Sudarwati . Sri Muryati, TOPS TUNTAS OLAH PAKET SOAL Siap UN BAHASA INGGRIS SMA, PENERBIT ERLANGGA)

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Mmm ... man is an animal. Behavior alone should be a good indicator of this.

3. guilaK

guilaK Junior Member

Iran
    Persian
    I have no idea about the cleverest creature. But according to Oxford Advanced Dictionary the word animal also means;
    any living creatures including a human being, example; Man is unique among animals for having developed the power of speech.

4. manon33 Senior Member

English - England (Yorkshire)
    I think the confsuion has arisen for you because humans are usually distinguished (linguistically) from other living creatures by use of vocabulary like 'people', 'human beings' etc. and the label 'animals' is normally used to refer to all other creatures (except perhaps birds) - e.g. cats, dogs, donkeys, monkeys, etc.

However biologically/scientifically speaking, humans are classed as animals, too (although some religions do not accept this concept).

5. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    yasir_ahmad "Why can man be compared to animals?" Because we are also animals...

One of the problems with animals is that at least one dictionary has as one of their definitions "any such living thing other than a human being."

Wikipedia

"In everyday colloquial usage, the word usually refers to non-human animals"

"The biological definition" of the word refers to all members of the kingdom Animalia, encompassing creatures as diverse as sponges, jellyfish, insects and humans"

GF..

6. yasir_ahmad Junior Member

Indonesian - English
    Thank you all.