the following week / the next week

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Pirulo1234, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Pirulo1234 Senior Member

Spanish
    Hi!

Imagine that someone tells me the following sentence: "I will lend you my car next week" and I want to transform it to indirect style. I've read that the correct way would be the following:

"He said that he would lend me his car the following week",

But my question is... in this second sentence, could I say "the next week" instead of "the following week"? In other words, are "next" and "following" always synonyms?

Thanks!

2. juan2937 Senior Member

Spanish

3. Pirulo1234 Senior Member

Spanish
    Thanks! Could any native English speaker confirm this?

Nobody?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  4. Pirulo1234 Senior Member

Spanish
    Nobody could confirm this and explain me why I can't say "the next week" instead of "the following week"?

5. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
    next and the next

When we want to talk about the week, month, year etc immediately after the present one, we use next without the. Note also that the prepositions on, in, at are not used with next in these time-expressions.

Goodbye! See you next week!
    Will you be at the party next Tuesday?
    I'll be abroad next Christmas.

The next can be used to talk about a period that starts at the present moment*. Compare:

I'm going to Corsica next week (=the week after this one)
    I'm going to be very busy for the next week (=the seven days starting today).

(M Swan. Practical English Usage.)

*Que no es el caso en la situación que planteas.

6. jjcc Senior Member

México
    Spanish - México
    Can I say: He said that he would lend me his car next week?

7. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
    Sí, si te refieres a la semana que viene (es decir, la semana que empieza el próximo 21 de octubre, puesto que hoy es día 14); pero no si te refieres a la semana posterior al momento en que se dijo "Te prestaré mi coche la semana que viene" (que puede haber pasado ya). En este segundo caso habría que usar "the following week".

8. Qualityservant

Qualityservant Senior Member

Utah, USA
    English-USA
    "The following week" and "the next week" are synonymous and interchangeable including in the indirect. However, without "the" they are not interchangeable. "Following week" does not exist, whereas "next week" refers to the week following this week. The week that follows "next week" is referred to as either "the following week" or "the next week". This also applies when referencing past events. Example: He said he couldn't lend me his car next week, but he could the following week (or "the next week"). I hope that helps.

9. Pirulo1234 Senior Member

Spanish
    So, are you saying that "He said that he would lend me his car the following week" and "He said that he would lend me his car the next week" are both interchangeables and both mean the same?

10. Qualityservant

Utah, USA
    English-USA
    Yes, they are interchangeable and mean the week after next.

11. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    Yo en este caso nunca usaría "the next week", siempre "the following week/the week after". Para mi sería incorrecto con "the next week".

¿Puede ser una diferencia entre AE y BE?

De todas las expresiones de tiempo (week, month, year etc) la única que suena bien en este contexto es "the next day".

12. Qualityservant

Utah, USA
    English-USA
    En los EEUU, se puede decir "the next day" o "the following day" cuando hablas del día que sigue otro día ya entendido. También, "the next week" y "the following week" significan lo mismo.