the four Sundays before Christmas

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sindridah, Nov 23, 2010.

1. sindridah Senior Member

Reykjavík
    Icelandic
    Hello world cititzens.

I'm looking for the English word/name of the four last Sundays before christmas? I hope you know what word i'm looking for.

Regards

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    I believe you are referring to Advent.

3. sindridah Senior Member

Reykjavík
    Icelandic
    Exactly! But is it advent, Thats interesting, It's aðventa in my language and somehow i didn't expect to be that similar. But thanks alot!

4. Miss Julie

Miss Julie Senior Member

Chicago metro area
    English-U.S.
    And it carries a capital A (Advent).

5. WyomingSue Senior Member

Cheyenne, WY
    English--USA
    It comes from the Latin, "adventus" (arrival), so seeing as it's a church-related word it probably entered all the Western European languages from Latin.

6. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    In Sweden children get the idea (wrongly) that advent means to wait (which sounds similar in Swedish (att vänta) to advent). Advent comes from Latin, as pointed out above. I hadn't realised that it is used in other Scandinavian languages, especially Icelandic.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  7. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Advent denotes not only the four Sundays immediately preceding Christmas but the entire pre-Christmas period beginning on the fourth Sunday before Christmas.

8. Havfruen Senior Member

USA
    English - American
    A Sunday in Advent is called Advent Sunday. More specifically, the first Sunday in Advent, the second Sunday in Advent, etc.

And while the Latin word means "arrival" it is a time of "expectant waiting," according to Wikipedia.