The geopolitical standoff epicentre

Discussion in 'English Only' started by azuki, Feb 1, 2013.

1. azuki Senior Member

Japanese
    Hello everybody,

The following is an excerpt of an article, titled as "Chinese fighter plane: US reaction on the verge of a nervous breakdown, appeared in the online "The Voice of Russia", Jan. 27, 2013.

The geopolitical standoff epicentre is moving to the Asia-Pacific as both the USA and China view that region as vital to their interests, says Vladimir Yevseev, director of the Center for Socio-Political Studies: (5th paragraph of the article)

There are some different definitions of "standoff" in a dictionary. Is "conflicting" most suitable for "standoff" in the context? Where was the epicentre before moving to the Asia-pacific? Could anyone explain?

Thank you in advance,

Azuki

2. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    No. In fact, I don't think "conflicting" is ever a suitable substitute for "standoff." Look at this dictionary entry:
    In the Cold War between the US and the USSR, there were a lot of "standoffs" - showdowns where either side showed their weapons and dared the other side to start a fight. I can think of a lot of "epicenters" for these standoffs, real or imagined - Yugoslavia, Germany, Cuba, Afghanistan, Vietnam, etc. etc.

3. gramman

gramman Senior Member

Hi azuki

Standoff can be defined as:

a disagreement or fight in which neither opponent can do anything to win or achieve their goal. (See Macmillan Dictionary)

I can understand your confusion about where the previous epicentre of the geopolitical standoff between China and the US was located. The author doesn't seem to offer any, except perhaps in the reference to China's past influence being "economic and demographic." I don't see how that relates to a change in the location of a military confrontation. That part of the article is simply poorly written, in my opinion.

4. azuki Senior Member

Japanese
    Hi lucas-sp,

Thank you for the clear explanation!

Azuki:)

5. azuki Senior Member

Japanese
    Hi gramman,

Thank you for your comment. I see. I am now clear!

Azuki:)