The given graph offers a glimpse of

Discussion in 'English Only' started by kira_moondance, Oct 5, 2013.

1. kira_moondance Senior Member

I was taught that the phrase "the given graph offers a glimpse of" was a good structure for IELTS writing task 1. However, I felt it verbose and inappropriate for a report. Should I use it or not?
    "The given tables offer a glimpse of the real estate market in five major cities around the world over two periods, from 1990 to 1995, and from 1995 to 2000."
    "The given pie charts offer a glimpse of the percentage of different kinds of degree granted at the National University over the three years shown."
  2. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    How about just
    "the accompanying (graph/table/pie chart) shows...."
    "the (graph/table/pie chart) below shows..." ?
  3. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    I wouldn't use the given tables (given by whom?).
    You need a reference to where they appear, as suggested by akhooka.
    Or the more verbose The tables shown/which appear in this report.
  4. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    Given the context, I see nothing wrong with your examples and have seen 'given' used many times like this.

In answer to e2efour's rhetorical question, "The graph has been given earlier (or close by) by the author."
  5. kira_moondance Senior Member

There were over eleven million results for "offers a glimpse of" when I searched the Internet, but the phrases don't appear in graph reports. I meant if that phrases was suitable for a report. Does "glimpse" seem a bit informal?
  6. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    I don't find the phrase as a whole suitable for what you describe. It is almost a cliché (an overused phrase used by journalists (and others!)), and the tables, graphs or whatever should do more than it suggests.
    It can be replaced by "the tables show" or "the tables give (us) an idea/a picture of".

Expressions like this (whatever we may think of them) can always be used in general writing and the author of the report could argue that he or she is just using an elegant style of writing. But personally I find it highfalutin, to use a word I have seen once or twice in this forum.:)