The gym

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by The Prof, Feb 22, 2014.

1. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

I want to ask my friend if she has been to the gym, meaning a place equipped with rowing machines, steppers, static bicycles and other such equipment that people use to improve their fitness or strength.

When I looked in the WR dictionary, all I could find under 'gym' were спортивный зал and Гимнастический зал. Am I right in thinking that neither of these is what I need here?

Elsewhere, I have come across тренажёрный зал and was wondering if that might be the right word: ты ходила в тренажёрный зал?
    Or should I be using another word?
  2. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

3. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

Great. Thank you very much.
  4. Maroseika Moderator

Besides тренажерный зал, which is quite correct, but a bit too official, we say спортзал (abbreviation of спортивный зал) and colloquial качалка.
  5. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

Thank you, Maroseika.

After Googling pictures of спортивный зал, I had come to the conclusion that they - and by extension, спортзал - were just halls/large rooms where sports are played, so thank you for putting me right. :)
  6. flance_j Junior Member

Ну когда как.
    Мне кажется, я слышу от людей тренажерный зал (и тренажерка) чаще, чем спортзал. Последнее обычно в значении школьного зала для занятий физкультуры.
    Ну может так только в моем городе) Не берусь утверждать за всю Россию.
  7. flance_j Junior Member

Yes, you're right.
    The words спортивный зал / спортзал can be used for the gym (with rowing machines etc) or for large rooms for soccer and basketball (every russian school has its own спортзал)
    Тренажерный зал / тренажерка just for the gym with
    rowing machines etc.

I've already said above, that the word спортзал is usually used for large rooms for soccer (in my city at least)
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

Thanks Flance, especially for putting that into English for me. My Russian is still very basic, so I wasn't sure if I had correctly understood your Russian post or not, but now that you have posted in English, I find that I had. :)
  9. Maroseika Moderator

Actually many people I know say just зал. But this word is very context dependent, of course.
    Тренажерка - never heard, but of course this word is also very clear.
  10. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

Just out of interest, I've just emailed my son's Russian partner (from Siberia) to ask her what she would use. I didn't tell her that I had already asked on here, or give her any suggestions.
    This was her reply: "I would say спортзал (1), or тренажЕнный зал (2) or тренажЕрка (a shorter, informal version of the 2)".
  11. flance_j Junior Member

I think she has made a mistake (typo).
    A correct word is тренажеРНый зал (2)
    тренажерный - это место с тренажерами (тренажер in this case - exercise machine)
    BTW спортивный has a meaning "for sport" (для спорта)

However you'll find a lot of examples with "тренажЕнный" while googling, but trust me, it's wrong.
    If I would hear it here, in Russia, by somebody, I'll say - Why do you say so? :)
  12. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

I had not even noticed that, Flance. She used her phone to reply, so that is probably the reason for the mistake. I'm sure it was a typo :)