The hose got pinched (crushed) inside the backhoe arm

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by phil-s, Dec 9, 2012.

1. phil-s Junior Member

Puerto Rico/Oregon - English
    The hose got pinched (crushed) inside the backhoe arm: 'La manga se pilló adentro el brazo del digger.'

¿Sirve? ¿O hay manera mejor de traducirlo?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  2. VocabloTrad Senior Member

Barcelona
    English - UK
    "pinched" seems all right. What about "caught"?

3. phil-s Junior Member

Caught isnt what I want to say, since it's not just caught -- ya que hubo hasta derrame de aceite. "Se quebró" would be safer since I don't know for sure it got pinched.

But out of curiosity, how would you say "got caught"? "Se cogió"?

(Favor de corriger qualquier errores. Así aprendo.)

4. maidinbedlam

maidinbedlam Moderanged

Vigo, Galicia
    Spanish - Spain
    Hello Phil:

I'm not sure which way you are translating. The sentence in the title sounds incorrect to me, so my first impression was you were trying to translate "the hose got pinched inside the backhoe arm", " la manga se quedó pillada / cogida en el brazo de la excavadora".

5. phil-s Junior Member

Oops, from English to Spanish. Yup, I like "se quedó pillada" better though I'm curious now about usage for the word. I gather from another thread that "me pillé el dedo" is idiomatic. But not "se pilló la manga"?

6. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

What kind of Spanish are you translating to?

7. maidinbedlam

maidinbedlam Moderanged

Vigo, Galicia
    Spanish - Spain
    You can say "la manga se pilló" as well, although for some reason "se quedó pillada" sounds better to me in this case. But I agree with k-in-sc that the variety of Spanish might be important.

8. phil-s Junior Member

I'm in Puerto Rico. At this point I'm fine for tomorrow's phone call to the tractor mechanic to come back and "let's see if we can fix it right this time", but the nuances of language fascinate me so any further comments are very welcome. Actually it occurs to me that "se quedó pillado adentro el brazo" might imply that the hose belonged elsewhere, which is not true. Though "Esta vez tenemos que colocarla adentro el brazo de manera que no se quede pillada" would seem to make it clear that that's where it belongs. Is that correct Spanish?

9. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I'm wondering if "pillada" is not peninsular Spanish and if "apretada" or "atrapada" might not be more appropriate here.

10. maidinbedlam

maidinbedlam Moderanged

Vigo, Galicia
    Spanish - Spain
    Oh ok, I thought it belonged elsewhere:(. Your last attempt sounds good though, except that it is "dentro del brazo", not "adentro el brazo".

And yes, see if "quedarse pillada" is idiomatic where you live.

11. phil-s Junior Member

Oops, been saying that wrong all my life. Thanks. And thank to all for the feedback.