The interview (where/when)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Intoarut, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Intoarut

Intoarut Senior Member

South America
    Latin American Spanish
    Hi!

If you use "interview" in a relative clause, would it be a "time" or a "place" clause?

For example, "That was the interview where/when I got my job."

I found a couple of examples with "where" that sound more like "when" to me. I feel they refer to time instead of place.

I reached a stage where I began to enjoy my work.
    He found himself in a situation where he was unable to pay off his debts.

(I've been trying to look up information about this, but all the examples were pretty obvious, like "a time when, a day when, the place where, the city where.")

Thanks!

2. juortgon Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    Chile - Spanish
    Hello, I think it's depend on what you want to put emphasis on place or time... but, I think you are using Spanish grammar.

first sentence:

"That was the interview when I got my Job"

I've applied for a job. I went to an interview on Monday morning. I got a new job.

When we speak about relative clause because something is missing in the clause

"That was the interview _______ I got my job." I could say this without where and when".. I = Subject, Got = Verb , My Job = object... then Nothing is missing. You could put that or which but it's not necessary a relative clause marker.

All yours sentences have Subject Verb and Object...

for example, "My house where I was born", If we analyze "where I was born" I = subject , was Born = Verb, and the object is missing, then we need a relative clause marker indicating a place..."

that's all... :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  3. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    In these examples I would avoid when and where, and say, for instance|:

The interview through which I got the job
    I reached a stage at which I began to enjoy my work.
    He found himself in a situation in which he was unable to pay off his debts.

When and where seem clumsy to me in these examples

Cheers!

4. Intoarut

Intoarut Senior Member

South America
    Latin American Spanish
    Thanks for your answers!