the latest computers available on the market, now.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by deslenguada, Oct 22, 2006.

1. deslenguada

deslenguada Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Which one sounds the ebst to you?

1)the latest computers available on the market, now.
    2)the latest computers available now on the market.
    3)the latest computers available on the market. (with no "now, maybe the others sound too repetitive)

I think I could write number 1 or number 3 but number 2 doesnt sound quiet right. Am I right?

What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance ;)

2. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    Without more context, I would go with 3, because as you suspected the "now" is redundant and well covered by "latest" (note the spelling; "lastest" is not a word).

3. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    I would go with 3). "now" is redundant because you're referring to the "latest" computers. You could also go with 2) if you rearrange the words "available" and "now" to say:

"the latest computers now available on the market"

4. deslenguada

deslenguada Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Thank You All!!!! :)

5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I'm not convinced the now is redundant in all cases.

I can readily imagine a piece of advertising stuff landing on my desk telling me that AcmeTech are offering very special prices with immediate delivery on the latest models - they will promise the latest computers available on the market, now!

It all depends on the CONTEXT in which this phrase is to be used.

6. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    There is an instance where I could see it not being redundant:

The latest computers now available on the market.

Meaning: The most recently developed computers that are now being sold on the market. Just because a computer is developed does not mean that it is on the market right now.

7. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    When else would it be on the market if it is "available on the market"?

Unless you specify the time it is understand that they are available on the market now.

8. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    If you are emphasizing that they are available on the market now as opposed to not recently being available. This phrase is used all the time.

9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Available on the market does not necessarily mean available to me, or available immediately.
    The Morgan Aero 8 is available on the market.
    If I want one, I have to join the queue - currently 12 months.

10. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Ok, but it's still available now. "Now" does not mean "to me."

"Now" may be emphatic, but I do not think it changes the meaning - which would make it redundant (unless special emphasis is to be laid). I don't see how "the latest computers available on the market" (to return to the original phrase) would allow for the possibility that they are currently not available.

By the way, I am not referring to the "now" at the end of the sentence, which I do think can make a difference (as in your advertisement example). The "now" I find redundant is the one in "the latest computers now available on the market."

Hockey, the fact that a phrase is commonly used does not mean that it's not redundant. Do a Google search for "blue in color." :)

11. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    I wholeheartedly disagree. There are subtle differences between these two sentences given a certain context:

The latest computers available on the market. This is a pretty general statement about the availability of the latest computers on the market.

The latest computers now available on the market. This is a statement that could emphasize that the latest computers, which had been advertised despite not being on the market, are now available on the market as opposed to before not being available.

Furthermore, "blue in color" is not necessarily redundant, especially with "blue."

12. jdenson

jdenson Senior Member

Houston, Texas
    USA / English
    A couple of corrections to your original text. (I assume that "ebst" is a typo.)
    JD