1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

the Magna Carta for the health worker

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Camlearner, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Camlearner Senior Member

Khmer
    Hi

In here, what does the Magna Carta for the health worker really mean in short simple English word ?

According to Dr. Villarin, “We have ironed out these problems. But we only have 3,001 social workers (DSWs) in the city.” Sobel rejoined that “If we only have one-thousand DSWs, that is so difficult for us to operate. In fact, your 3,001 is only a fraction for the total children’s population of the country. Given a 90 children for every DSW, your 3,001 DSWs will be equivalent to 27,000 children. At present the ratio is around 48 DSWs for 6001 children—this is very hard to manage,” Sobel sadly commented.

It’s called the Magna Carta for the health worker 31% representative, the same case in DSWD- we, 663-Executive Order from the President- Immunization Program- Specifically in vaccination for Measles.

Any missed children during the campaign should be shouldered by the DSWD- for the welfare of children.

Source: http://mindanaosherald.blogspot.com/2011/02/dr-howard-sobel-world-health.html at last paragrahp.

Thanks.

2. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings, Camlearner

Since no-one else has (yet) tried to answer this query, here is my tuppence-worth.

Although I have looked at your link for the complete context, it seems to me that the sense has been somewhat mangled - either because of imperfect command of English on the part of the reporter, or because of an error in transmission.
    is not coherent.

On its own, though, 'Magna Carta' can be explained (www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured_documents/magna_carta): at a seminal moment in English (n.b. not British) constitutional history in AD 1315, the King ceded important rights and powers to the barons and accepted that the Crown too was subject to, rather than above, the law. It also established for lesser subjects the principle of habeas corpus (i.e., the immunity of a free person from summary imprisonment) - widely now recognised in many judicial systems around the world.

This was a vital stepping-stone towards the abolition of feudalism in England and towards the (eventual) establishment of democracy. Figuratively, therefore, 'a Magna Carta' can mean any important or far-reaching statement of principle which enforces or establishes the rights of a particular group or society.

3. Hermione Golightly Senior Member

SW London
    British English
    I find reading this article a truly painful experience - it is terribly badly written by a non- native speaker. It really isn't worth your time or effort. Of course reading is an excellent way of improving your English but read well- written material. The part you are asking about is incomprehensible.

Hermione

4. Camlearner Senior Member

Khmer
    Hi Scholiast: From your explanation, it seems that the Magna Carta for the health worker 31% representative mean the health worker 31% representative is given some rights or permission to do their job ... ?

Yes Hermione, it's difficult to read. I'm just curious.

5. stormwreath Senior Member

English - England
    A similar expression to 'Magna Carta' would be 'Bill of Rights'. It's a grand, formal legal or constitutional statement of the rights and responsibilities of a particular group of people, or an entire nation. Googling shows that​the "Magna Carta of Public Health Workers" is the actual name for a law passed in the Philippines in 1992.

By the way, the original Magna Carta was passed in 1215, not 1315!

6. Fabulist Senior Member

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    I don't think "the Magna Carta for the health worker 31% representative" means anything. It's a completely incoherent series of words. It suggests one of the following:
    (1) Something is missing;
    (2) An original in another language was run through something like Google Translate or Babelfish and published as is; these programs are very poor at understanding syntax, and often simply make word-by-word vocabulary substitutions (and not good ones, either).

7. Camlearner Senior Member

Khmer
    Ah ok.. so the text is the work of translation from a machine , that's why it looks so difficult to read. Ok at least I learn something about the Magna Carta. Thank you all.

8. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    As Hermione says, the passage as a whole is gibberish (look up "gibberish" if you don't know what it means). But any time you see something referred to as "a Magna Carta" it means something granting basic rights or freedoms to people, referring to that historic English document. Something referring to "a Bill of Rights" would have the same meaning (it refers to a historic American document).

9. Camlearner Senior Member

Khmer
    Thanks Parla for the advice and the new word gibberish that = no meaning (I just learn) :)