1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

the meaning of #whiff in a tweet

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Kross, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    Los Angeles Dodgers which is one of Major League baseball teams in America announced today game’s lineup via their twitter account. They placed #whiff next to the starting pitcher, Ryu Hyung-jin, like Ryu P #whiff. I wonder what it means. I can’t pick up a right meaning from dictionaries because they present many definitions. I only guess they hope Ryu will pitch well today.

The link for it is here (https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/367394319725912064)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
  3. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    In this context, a "whiff" means a "strikeout," right? (The "whiff" is the sound of the bat swinging without connecting to the ball.)

I'm not exactly baseball-literate, so I'd honestly like to know.

4. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Yes, a whiff is a strike-out. For a pitcher such as Hyun-Jin Ryu, this is a good thing. For a batter, not so good.

5. waltern Senior Member

English - USA
    As noted, yes it does - but just to clarify the baseball point, a batter does not need to swing at a pitch for it to be called a strike (and a 3rd strike where the batter is caught "looking", rather than swinging, can be an especially satisfying one from the perspective of the pitching team.)

6. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Ah. So the "whiff" is instead the sound of the ball​ flying past the batter without coming in contact with the bat.

7. waltern Senior Member

English - USA
    I would actually say your first guess of "whiff" meaning a swing and miss of the bat was correct (and I've heard that term to generally mean swinging and missing at a tennis ball, golf ball, etc.) - wikipedia also defines it as a *swinging* strikeout for the same reason - I just wanted to point out FYI (since you seemed interested) that a batter can strike out without swinging at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_baseball_(W)#whiff

8. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Interesting! So the term is at first a metaphor for a particular kind of strikeout, but was then generalized by metonymy to all strikeouts. Idioms are cool.