The mind sleeps here eternally.

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by fibbius, Jan 10, 2013.

1. fibbius New Member

English
    I'm writing a story and a plot point is that a character finds something hidden in a spot with an inscription to the effect of "The mind sleeps here eternally." (The hidden object is a mind-reading amulet and the hidden spot is inside a graveyard so, y'know, it works on two levels.)

Anyway, I pulled the basic--and I'm sure incorrect--translation from Google (I hear you all groaning) as "mens dormit in aeternum hic." Could someone help correct that to its proper form? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings, and welcome to the Latin Forum

You are quite right to be suspicious or sceptical about the Google facilities (they are, frankly, useless), and have landed here in a much better place.

On this occasion, as it happens, the Google version is not so terrible, but neater were:

hic mens in perpetuum dormit

This follows the metrical plan of what is called a "limping scazon", a poetic form used especially by Catullus and Martial for sardonic or sharp observations in their poems.

But wait for others' suggestions in this Forum: there are plenty of other experts here.

3. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Hi,

why changing aeternum? In fact, they are synonymous.
    Is this variant correct, "Hic mens est perpetua dormienda"?
    see you,