the most beautiful thing I could imagine

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by divina, Dec 9, 2012.

1. divina Senior Member

Norristown, PA
    English, U.S.
    Hola.

No estoy segura de cómo traducir al español el verbo "imagine" aquí.

With her long eyelashes and black hair, the baby was, says her mother, ‘the most beautiful thing I could imagine’.

Con sus pestañas largas y pelo negro, la bebé era, dice su madre, 'la cosa más hermosa que me podría imaginar'.

Con sus pestañas largas y pelo negro, la bebé era, dice su madre, 'la cosa más hermosa que podría imaginármela'.

Gracias de antemano por la ayuda.

2. Jerzon

Jerzon Senior Member

Colombia
    Español-Colombia
    "La cosa más hermosa que (me) podría imaginar" sounds good to me.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. srb62 Senior Member

Scotland
    British English
    Would La cosa más hermosa que pudiera imaginar also be possible?

4. Jerzon

Jerzon Senior Member

Colombia
    Español-Colombia
    Even though pudiera/pudiese are used indistinctly, I'd go with "pudiese", sounds better to me.

5. srb62 Senior Member

Scotland
    British English
    thanks for that - I was really just wondering if the subjunctive would be possible, and hadn't thought about the two options. I always just choose the -ara forms, not idea why. Interesting that 'pudiese' sounds better (I suspect subtleties like that are beyond me!!)

6. Jerzon

Jerzon Senior Member

Colombia
    Español-Colombia
    Yes, I don't see why the subjunctive wouldn't work, it sounds a little bit poetic in this case I think. As I said, they are used indistinctly, I personally use -ere forms, guess that's just a matter of personal preference. :D

7. srb62 Senior Member

Scotland
    British English
    yes, the mysteries of the subjunctive!!
    Ok, I get that it sounds a little poetic.
    Would there be any contexts where its use might be more likely? In general, if you were trying to be a little 'over the top', shall we say (either seriously or mildly ironically)? Maybe, if you were talking to a child and telling them something or saying how lovely he or she was?

8. Jerzon

Jerzon Senior Member

Colombia
    Español-Colombia
    Hmmm, I'm not sure if I completely understand what you mean.

9. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Hi,
    You can use "podría", "pudiera/iese" and "podía," each one having, for me at least, a slightly different sense (my suggestion is the first option):

La bebé era la cosa más hermosa que me podía imaginar. <—The mother kept trying to imagine the most beautiful thing and it was always the baby. (In that time.)
    La bebé era la cosa más hermosa que me podría imaginar. <—If the mother had imagine the most gourgeous thing, it would have been the baby. (Any time after meeting the baby.)
    La bebé era la cosa más hermosa que me pudiese imaginar. <—The most beautiful thing that it was ever possible for the mother to imagine was as the baby. (Any time in the past.)

Regards,
    ;)