1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

The name of a movie in a formal essay

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Jacob, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Jacob

Jacob Senior Member

New Jersey, United States
    English (United States)
    I had to write a film analysis for my English class and I don't know whether to underline or italicize the title of the movie. I have one book that has a sample essay and in the essay the title is underlined but another book I have says to italicize it. I've also looked it up online and I've found websites that tell me to underline it and websites that tell me to italicize it. I have to write the paper with the MLA format so if anyone knows whether to underline or italicize titles of films with that format, I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

2. lareneg Junior Member

United Kingdom, English
    I don't know about the MLA format, in fact, I've never heard of it, but personally, I would underline it if it were a title, and italicise it if it were in the main body of the text. I've seen it like that in the UK, but maybe it's different in the US.

//EDIT: A quick search with google produces:

"Use either italics or underlining throughout your essay for the titles of longer works and, only when absolutely necessary, providing emphasis."

from http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/01/

3. WeeBabyMunchkin Junior Member

Scotland
    English (British) - Scotland
    I think names of books, movies etc are usually italicised when typed and underlined when hand written...i'm not 100% sure but someone else might be able to confirm it!:)

4. bouncy.bouncy Senior Member

WA, USA
    American/British English
    when you're doing a bibliography/works cited you should underline it.