1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

The night is dead still because you are so far away

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by imbay, May 12, 2007.

1. imbay

imbay Junior Member

Thailand
    Thailand / Thai
    Can you help to translate this sentence please :)
    " The night is dead still because you are so far away, show me your smile and take me to your dream with you "

Thank you

Bay :)

2. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    Here's my try (but wait for the natives): "Noaptea este încă monotonă pentru că eşti aşa de departe, arată-mi zîmbetul tău şi du-mă cu tine în visul tău".

3. parakseno

parakseno Senior Member

Romania
    Romanian, Romania
    I must confess Kraus' translation is very good.

My only remark is that I think "dead still" goes toghether as an epithet ("still" is used as an adjective here) otherwise I guess it would've been "The night is still dead" ("Noaptea e încă moartă"). Since it's a rather poetical phrase, I'd use the Romanian word for "dead", "moartă" in this case as the noun is feminine.
    Now, I'd render "dead still" as "încremenită, moartă" (as an enumeration). It's not a perfect translation but I think it passes on the original feeling. Otherwise you can use just "moartă" to render "dead still".

So, here is my try:
    "The night is dead still because you are so far away, show me your smile and take me to your dream with you"
    "Noaptea este încremenită, moartă pentru că eşti atât de departe; zâmbeşte-mi şi du-mă cu tine în visul tău."

4. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    Mulţumesc frumos Parakseno şi pentru corectări! :)

5. parakseno

parakseno Senior Member

Romania
    Romanian, Romania
    As I said before, your translation is very good... I don't think it's a matter of mistakes but rather... of a different point of view. :D

6. imbay

imbay Junior Member

Thailand
    Thailand / Thai
    Multumesc :)

Bay