1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

the nursery that/which/where looks after Amy (relative pronoun)

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by tedious, Dec 18, 2013.

1. tedious New Member

Polish
    Witam serdecznie!
    Mam problem z jednym zdaniem.
    The nursery____looks after Amy is fantastic for young children.

Powinno tu być which, czy where?
    Dzięki za odpowiedź.

2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Witaj na forum, Tedious.

W podanym zdaniu potrzebne jest 'which', które pełni w nim funkcję podmiotu.

'where' pasowałoby, na przykład, w następującym zdaniu:
    The nursery where Amy is looked after is fantastic.

[...]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  3. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Hi Tedious and welcome to the forums :)

I think we can consider this is a defining clause (it gives essential information on the 'nursery' and you could not remove this information).
    As a result, I think that both 'which' and 'that' are correct but that 'that' is preferable.
    'The nursery that (/which) looks after Amy is fantastic for young children.'
    but
    'The nursery XXX, which looks after Amy, is fantastic for young children.'

Maybe this site may help you :)

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Zastanawiam się, czy zdanie "The nursery looks after Amy" jest poprawne po angielsku. Dla mnie brzmi dziwnie.

5. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Hi Ben Jamin :)
    Do you mean that the verb 'look after' is not right?

6. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Też się nad tym zastanawiałem, ale podobne sformułowania można znaleźć na anglojęzycznych stronach:
    The nursery looks after children aged between 3 months and 5 years old and you maybe required to look after all age ranges
    After Nursery Cares Jobs, vacancies in London | Indeed.co.uk

Liberty of the Seas caters brilliantly for families, too. The Royal Babies & Tots Nursery looks after infants aged up to three, and older kids will love meeting characters from cartoons such as Shrek and Madagascar in parades, as well as watching them in 3-D action on the big screen.
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/travel_magazine/article591055.ece

The nursery looks after the children of parents who work at HSBC or First Direct.
    Kidsunlimited - Hamilton - Nursery Community

7. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    No, the subject "nursery" seems to be a stylistic mismatch to "look after" for me.

8. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    "You have to try and write this essay". "It ain't corect", i tym podobne konstrukcje też są szeroko używane.

9. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Ben Jamin, dla mnie 'The nursery that/which (można użyć obu, a problematyka 'that/which' była szeroko na tym forum, jak i wielu innych miejscach omawiana) looks after...' to nic innego jak skróty myślowy, bądź też metonimia. Zdanie uważam za w stu procentach poprawne.

Co do 'ain't', to w standardowej mowie powinno się go wystrzegać, ale już 'try and do something' to pełnoprawna potoczna konstrukcja, niejednokrotnie słyszałem jak padała z ust anglojęzycznych profesorów. :)

10. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    All three points made by dreamlike in #9 are correct. As stated in the earlier posts, 'that' or 'which' are both ok in the OP's sentence, and nurseries do, indeed, 'look after' children.

11. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    I was just wondering if coupling a non personal subject "nursery" with "look after" was a good match. I thought that "to look after" was something what persons do, not institutions.

12. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    My point from #9 still stands, it's simply a metonymy, or a mental shortcut, if you like.

13. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    :thumbsup: Yes, it's a standard kind of metonymy we see all the time. 'Schools educate children' (although the schools don't do the educating, the teachers do it). 'Prisons try to reform and rehabilitate offenders', 'television influences people's opinions', 'cars are responsible for many deaths on the roads', etc. etc.