1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

The parties intend the arbitration procedure to substitute

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by headic, Oct 2, 2013.

1. headic New Member

Spanish
    Hi all,

I am translating a contractual agreement document from English into Spanish, and I am having a hard time understanding the meaning of this paragraph (and, in turn, I'm having problems translating it). The context is Mediation/Arbitration procedures during a dispute between the parties. Any and all help will be appreciated. The text reads:

"The parties intend the mediation/arbitration procedure described in this Section to substitute in all cases for litigation related to any such dispute, subject only to Section 10.7, below, and this agreement to submit all such disputes to mandatory mediation and binding arbitration is irrevocable"

Here's my (failed) attempt:

"Es la intención de las partes que el proceso de mediación y arbitraje descrito en esta Sección substituya en todos los casos de litigio relacionados con cualquier dicha controversia, supeditado únicamente a la Sección 10.7, a continuación, y que este acuerdo presente todas dichas controversias a mediación obligatoria y arbitraje vinculante es irrevocable."

I think I understand that the parties are agreeing that the mediation/arbitration procedure will intercede during any dispute....(and here's where it gets cloudy)... and that there is no way to avoid going to mediation/arbitration once the dispute has been identified an process has started? I'm not sure how to understand the end of this paragraph! Anyone care to venture a translation?

Thanks in advanced for your help!

2. aieruz Senior Member

Euskal Herria
    Basque,
    Hi Headic and welcome to the Forum,

This is my proposal for the last sentence

...... y el presente Acuerdo de someter/supeditar cualquier discrepancia al procedimiento de mediación obligatorio y arbitraje vinculante es irrevocable.

aieruz

3. headic New Member

Spanish
    Thank you for your suggestion aieruz. I like your proposed translation, but I'm wondering if the tense used at the end ("es irrevocable") is correct related to the rest of the paragraph? I understand this is legal language and sometimes it is acceptable, but I'm curious and want to be sure. Also, can you explain the essence of this paragraph?

The phrase would read as follows:

"Es la intención de las partes que el proceso de mediación y arbitraje descrito en esta Sección substituya en todos los casos de litigio relacionados con cualquier dicha controversia, supeditado únicamente a la Sección 10.7, a continuación, y el presente Acuerdo de supeditar cualquier discrepancia al procedimiento de mediación obligatorio y arbitraje vinculante es irrevocable".

Saludos!

headic

4. mal67 Senior Member

Lusaka
    US - English
    I don't think it is correct as "es irrevocable", but should instead use the subjunctive, as with sustituya earlier in the same paragraph.

In the English text, I understand "The parties intend..." to apply to the first part (the mediation/arbitration procedure...) and also to the second part (this agreement...).

I also understand the original text to say something slightly different regarding litigation: that, in all cases where there is a dispute, the mediation/arbitration process will be followed instead of litigation.

So it should be something more like the following:

"Es la intención de las partes que el proceso de mediación y arbitraje descrito en esta Sección substituya al proceso de litigio en todos los casos relacionados con cualquier dicha controversia, supeditado únicamente a la Sección 10.7, a continuación, y que el presente Acuerdo de someter cualquier discrepancia al procedimiento de mediación obligatorio y arbitraje vinculante sea irrevocable".

I hope this helps.

5. aieruz Senior Member

Euskal Herria
    Basque,
    My reply to mal67,
    I partly agree with you that perhaps my wording "es irrevocable" is not the finest rendering. I'll propose something later, but I don't agree with you regarding your contention that "The parties intend" applies to both complements.
    Clause 1) The parties (subject) intend (main verb) something (expanded as a subordinate clause: "the mediation to substitute XX"). The verb is non-finite, as corresponds to a subordinate clause, whereas in
    Clause 2) the main elements are This agreement (subject) + main verb (IS)+ attribute: irrevocable.
    So, in the first clause the subject is The parties, in the second clause, the subject is this agreement. and consequently it must have a finite (conjugated) verb (IS) .
    As to translation, perhaps ES is a bit too succinct a form, -even though the original is succint too- but it is undoubtful that a finite verb form must be used.
    How about something like "TIENE CARÁCTER irrevocable"?

aieruz

6. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    What a horrible text to have to translate. Their point is that mediation takes priority over legal proceedings if there is a dispute and that the result is binding. I wonder whether that is strictly speaking 100% legal. When I worked in mediation we would insist that legal proceedings stopped while mediation was taking place. I wonder how you can insist that neither party litigates against the other. I am not sure about controversia - it sounds a bit of a bum note to my ears. Would not disputa work better or plain falta de acuerdo?

7. mal67 Senior Member

Lusaka
    US - English
    Aieruz, i see your point, though I still hold to my reading. Note that they put "and" to join the two clauses, instead of making the second clause into a separate sentence (which it should have been, if "this agreement" were the subject).

However, since the original text is poorly drafted, it's impossible to know what they meant.

In any case, I agree that "tiene/tenga carácter irrevocable" sounds a lot better.

Cirrus, just to note that in the US at least, binding arbitration clauses (which require that disputes be settled via arbitration instead of though the courts) have generally been upheld as legal. Requiring mediation as a preliminary step also shouldn't be a problem, legally speaking, since the parties to the mediation process are free to accept or reject the result. Obligatory mediation is a feature of certain types of dispute resolution (e.g. labor disputes) in a number of countries.

8. aieruz Senior Member

Euskal Herria
    Basque,
    mal67,
    May I say that the "and" conjunction does not necessarily link two clauses having one common subject? I'm sure this can't be something strange to you and your use of discourse.
    And again, the SL text says "SUBJECT (complex as it may be) IS irrevocable. Should this clause be dependant on the first subject (The parties intend .....) it ewpould have been phrased as

THE PARTIES INTEND THIS AGREEMENT TO BE IRREVOCABLE.(¿?) which is not the case. Why should we infer meanings that detract from what was written down?

aieruz

9. headic New Member

Spanish
    Thank you all, cirrus, mal67 and aieruz! This indeed is a very "dry" text to translate, but such is our burden. I think you have made very good points and your comments are greatly appreciated.

I agree with mal67 in the sense that the original source text is poorly drafted, which complicates matters in trying to understand its real meaning. However, in the end, given the legal nature of this translation, I agree with aieruz's interpretation of meaning and have decided to go the literal route (and save myself some problems down the road.) After all, although it frequently is our task to provide some clarification to the original text through our translation, it certainly is not our obligation, but rather our choice (thought it rarely feels that way.)
    Cirrus: For that same purpose, I have also decided to go with disputa.

The final version reads:

"Es la intención de las partes que el proceso de mediación y arbitraje descrito en esta Sección substituya a la litigación en todos los casos relacionados con cualquier dicha disputa, supeditado únicamente a la Sección 10.7 que se menciona a continuación, y el presente Acuerdo de someter cualquier disputa al procedimiento obligatorio de mediación y arbitraje vinculante tiene carácter irrevocable."

Gracias a los tres!

Saludos,

headic