1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

The Phrase "confined to"

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by 123xyz, Oct 20, 2013.

1. 123xyz Senior Member

Skopje, Macedonia
    Macedonian
    I am wondering how to say "confined to" in Romanian. I know that "confined" can be expressed by words such as "limitat", "restrâns", "mărginit" and the like, but I can't find how to link these words to the rest of the sentence. I was thinking of the preposition "la", i.e. "limitat/restrâns la ceva", but I couldn't find any text where I could confirm whether this usage is correct. I have seen the preposition "între" used after "restrâns" to mean something like "restricted between certain boundaries" but that is a different meaning, presenting a range. I am looking for the meaning closer to "merely consist of" as in, for example "his social interaction is confined to small-talk with colleagues at work and now and then encounters with the neighbors". I am hoping someone can suggest what phrase would be appropriate in such a context.

Thank you in advance

2. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    Romanian
    Context is always the key :)

confined to his quarters -> trimis în camera lui (pedepsit/forţat să stea in camera lui)
    confined his remarks to a few words-> şi-a limitat/mărginit comentariile/remarcile numai la câteva cuvinte

Note, 2nd case: even though in English it's OK w/o only after to, in Romanian I had to add numai (only, in this case) to make it sound right. I guess it works w/o numai, but it sounds better with.

I wouldn't use restrâns in any of the two examples above.

Let's hope irinet will bring up the rear with some more details :)

Later,

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. irinet

irinet Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Hi,
    This one is for you only!
    You are the best interpreter of this kind of questions. I'll be all 'ears' instead. :p

4. misadro

misadro Senior Member

... se rezumă la ... se limitează la ...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013