The poems and their translations by Arberry and O'Grady

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Heba, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Heba

Heba Senior Member

Coventry, England
    Egypt, Arabic
    Hello :)

I am annotating seven Arabic texts and their translations into English, and I am thinking of a title for the annotation. So, I simply thought of the following title:
    ''Annotating the Poems and their Translations by Arberry and O'Grady''.
    Is this title grammaticaly correct? or should I replace ''by Arberry and O'Grady'' with ''of Arberry and O'Grady ''?

Thank you.

2. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    I really would have no idea what a book called ''Annotating the Poems and their Translations by/of Arberry and O'Grady'' would be about. If I had to guess, it would be a book that actually discusses how to annotate "the poems," and I wouldn't understand what the translations have to do with it.

I have some questions:

- what poems are they? isn't that important?
    - why are the translators' names so important?

Also, there is a typical form for this in English, which you could probably find by Googling. We normally say "Title: An Annotated Edition."

3. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    The poems?
    Surely you would have to say whose poems first.

Are Arberry and O'Grady the poets?

4. Heba

Heba Senior Member

Coventry, England
    Egypt, Arabic
    Thank you Suzi and Lucas for your replies.
    I am sorry I have not formed the question correctly (it misses a part). The title above is actually a subtitle. The main title is the Seven Mu'alaqat of Pre-Islamic Arabia. I had no problem with the main title so I did not post it, but that made me form my question incorrectly.
    Arberry and O'Grady are the translators of Al- Mu'allaqat. So I was wondering if the subtitle was correct.
    Thank you so much.

5. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    This feels a bit like proofreading. But here's a link to a Harvard UP page showing lots of their "annotated editions." As you can see, the titles for these books are pretty standardized in English. Perhaps you could use those titles as a model for yours.