The Queen's Bench Divisional Court

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Manchita, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Manchita Senior Member

The Times is reporting about a case where a coroner is entitled to refuse leave to a brother of the deceased to examine certain witnesses a the inquest. The Queen's Bench Divisional Court so held in refusing to Mr John Keane an application to quash an inquest.

The case was seen before Lord Justice Neil and Mr Justice Pill. I do understand that Lord Justice referes to Tribunal Supremo. Is that right ??

Please, what would it be the equivalence within the Spanish Bench System ??

Many thanks

2. Manchita Senior Member

It came to my mind that if I understand "Lord Justice" as a judge in the "Spanish Tribunal Supremo" (the Spanish Supreme Court), I could interprete " Queen's Bench Divisional Court as "sala del Tribunal Supremo".

Is there anyone who knows about the Spanish Judicial hierarchy ?
    Would that interpretation be correct ?

Many thanks.

3. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    I doubt that you want "Sala del Tribunal Supremo." The Queen's Bench Divisional Court is one of several inferior courts operating side by side with Chancery Courts and Family Courts, all falling under the "High Court," and even then, the "High Court" is not the British "Supreme Court" (Corte Suprema) of the United Kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_the_United_Kingdom

It sounds more like what we call in the USA a federal district court.

In Spain, you have an audiencia provincial which sounds roughly analagous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judiciary_of_Spain

Have you considered leaving it in English? We often have difficulty finding exact parallels when we move from one country to the next.

4. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I totally agree with robjh22. Is there a particular reason you're trying to figure out which Spanish court would be an *approximate* equivalent?

5. Manchita Senior Member

I will follow your advice and leave it in English with the more approximate spanish translation in brakets.

Many thanks