The real McCoy

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by adber010, Apr 5, 2013.

1. adber010 Senior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    The real McCoy/the real deal

How would one translate this expression in greek? Is there a αντίστοιχη έκφραση? Pardon my greeklish:)

2. hatzi13 Senior Member

greece/greek
    Ο αληθινός Μακόι/ η πραγματική ιστορία (story) or υπόθεση (case)

Perhaps, you should give some more "hints" about what you really want to say (connotation of the phrase). Is it a title?

3. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    I don't know any equivalent phrase. It means "αυθεντικό, γνήσιο". My watch is a Rolex, the real McCoy - Το ρολόι μου είναι γνήσιο Ρόλεξ. Hadzi is right, we need a context.

4. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Try « 'Ειναι ντόμπρος».

5. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    Όχι. This means "honest person".
    Referring to things, we may say "Γνήσιο πράγμα", "ατόφιο πράγμα" (genuine stuff), "αυθεντικό", "γνήσιο".

6. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Πολύ σωστά και συμφωνώ Sotos. Αλλά νόμιζα μήπως υπήρχε λίγο περιθώριο μιας και δεν γνωρίζουμε ακριβώς με πια έννοια χρησιμοποιείται και το 'real Mcoy' εδώ.

7. adber010 Senior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    The meant to use the phrase in the sense of "authentic, real, not fake" much as in the expression "the real deal". But sometimes there just isn't an equivalent expression, and γνήσιο/ατόφιο πράγμα sounds fine to me. Thanks!

8. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Εγώ θα έλεγα ναι. Despite the fact that it isn't commonly spelled out in dictionaries, the term "the real McCoy" is occasionally used to describe someone who possesses the attributes of honesty and forthrightness.

9. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Thanks for the confirmation Cougr. I had a hunch ( to use another Americanism) there was some overlap there.