the real meaning of "heart"

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by robbie_SWE, Jun 21, 2006.

1. robbie_SWE

robbie_SWE Senior Member

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English

I've been thinking of the word "heart" and what it actually means. The Latin languages have chosen a word that idicates that the heart is the centre:

Ex: cuore (it.), coeur (fr.) corazón (sp.), coração, inima (ro.)

The Romanian word for heart is "inima", which means "soul" (or where the soul is).

How is it in your language? Does the word "heart" have another, more "romantic" meaning? ;)
  2. Sina New Member

Turco, Turquia
    Yürek = used when we are talking about being brave etc.
    Kalp = Biological usage and romantic
  3. ukuca

ukuca Senior Member

Istanbul - Turkey
    Turkish - Turkey
    In Turkish, there are also
    Can: which is more related to "soul"
    Gönül: which is more romantic and poetic

Mostly, the word "Kalp" is used for centre of something
  4. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

5. cyanista

cyanista законодательница мод

The Russian word сердце (serdtse) might be related to the word середина (seredina) which means "centre, middle".
  6. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    There's a German expression that goes like "im Herzen der Stadt", which means "in the centre of the town".

And what did "heorte" originally mean?
  7. Becker Junior Member

In Sinhalese it's hada which is derived from the Sanskrit hridaya but I'm not too sure what exactly the Sanskrit term means beside "heart"
  8. Miguelillo 87

Miguelillo 87 Senior Member

Mexico City
    México español
    In sapnish you say Corazón if you want to refer to a feeling or to the biological part
    Te amo con todo el corazón.- I love oyu with all my heart
    Me falla el corazón.- My heart is not well

In Spanish centre is centro
    Centro-corazón I don't know if there is a simility
  9. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

English - England
    Surely it is the other way around: the heart is at the centre of the body, and therefore stands as a metaphor for the centre of other things.
  10. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

English - England
    As French4beth has said, the Romance, Germanic and Slavonic words for heart are all cognates; and I would hazard a guess that the Sanksrit hridaya is cognate too.

The Germanic h = Latin k = Slavonic s is seen in many words

hundred - centum -sto
    house - casa -
    head - caput -
    heart - cordis - serdtse
    harm - carmen (a magic spell)
    hemp - cannabis
  11. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    The word hriday is still used...I have seen it in the some prayers in Panjabi (hirday) and it is still used in Hindi and Gujarati (according to one of my friends), but not often. The more common word is of Persian origin, dil.
  12. Maja

Maja Senior Member

Binghamton, NY
    Serbian, Serbia
    In Serbian heart is "srce" (Cyrillic: срце) medically and romantically!!!
  13. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    hmm.. I've never heard that word before.
    We always say "dil" too.. although I don't think it has some "deeper" meaning..
  14. D0lph1n New Member

hmm, indonesian translated heart as "hati" (in terms of feeling)

however, "hati" in an indonesian saying it in biological terms is actually goes for "liver", weird isn't it ?? :confused:

so for "heart" in biological term we use "jantung" or sometimes we adding it as "jantung hati"

expression that using "hati"
    "makan hati" (literally means eat your own heart) if you are angry over something
    "hati hati" means "be careful" or "watch out !"

as for romantic meaning, well, we mostly use the translation from english, such as "broken heart" (patah hati), "key to my heart" (kunci untuk hatiku), etc etc
  15. Honour Senior Member

Türkçe, Türkiye
    for its adjective usage, cardiac/cardiaque is also possible.
  16. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Well, Linguist, the girl who told me this was talking about folk music, so perhaps the persian influence is not as strong there. There are a lot of words that sound so weird to me, living outside of India of course, and so I take them as being weird and unused. But I ask my parents and it seems second nature...and I get a responce like "oh...yeah...that means 'such and such.'"

If you don't mind, ek kaam karna mere liye...ask your parents if that is a village term where they're from. Im interested to know:)
  17. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Interesting! I'll definitely ask them :)
    Will edit this later
    Oh by the way - how do you pronounce it lol? (Is it like "Hritik Roshan"?:p)
  18. Pivra Senior Member

Hridaya in Thai (pronounced Hreudai) means heart too. The best way to give an example of this is .... there is a convent church in Bangkok called the Sacret Heart or something but its Thai name is Phra Hridaya Convent
    (Phra is an honorific article).

We also use the word Chitra (in Thai we pronounced it as Chit, the -ra is silent) means heart but its closer to the word mano- in Sanskrit, as in mind.

The physical heart is called "huachai" in Thai.
  19. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English Panjabi, we have the word "chit" which is a hard word for me to define. It is synonymous with the word "man" so I guess it would be "mind."
  20. Pivra Senior Member

In Thai mana- turns into mano- for sandhi combination

manobhab มโนภาพ- mana มน + bhava ภาวะ= means something like ... you know lol... what bhava means in Sanskrit ... hard to explain for me. It's like what you imagine in your mind.

manodhamm มโนธรรม - mana มน + dharma ธรรมะ = your inner dharma, I guess, hard to translate for me.
  21. alby Senior Member

Same in Croatia.

22. Nineu Junior Member

Euskal Herria / Basque Country
    In basque we say "bihotz" medically and romantically aswell.
  23. Lore bat Junior Member

In Spanish "corazón" is used as "centre". For example, "el corazón de la ciudad" (the centre of the city). The example that the RAE gives is "corazón de la manzana".

24. anthodocheio

anthodocheio Senior Member

In Greece the word is καρδιά (cardiá) and has the same uses like those you have mention.
    The human heart and the romantic use and the center like mentioned before; the heart of the city or of the cabbage.
  25. panjabigator

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
  26. Aldin Junior Member

In bosnian:
    srce=medically and romanticly
    srdašce(small heart)

in colloquial
    srculence(small heart)
  27. Pivra Senior Member

Anubhab in Thai means potential and its another word for power

อนุภาพ I never quite understand the combination of this word since I was a kid. anu อนุ- to me it is a prefix for something small, and bhava ภาวะ- to me means the same as rupa-รูป as in picture (in Thai the word picture is rupbhab รูปภาพ) so I used to think it means a small picture or something like that back when I was like 6-7.