the relative strength of the field in/on/to/into the piece

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Cheeky-Monkey, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Hi! I want to know what word should I used (I think either "in" or "to" or "into"... as it is a magnetic field applied 'into' a piece, or beacuse the strenght is reamaining "in" the piece... ???

After the test, results are checked.

'A magnetic field indicator will be used, a Berthold or an ASME Penetrameter, to measure the relative strength of the field in/on/to/into/onto the piece, as well as the direction of the magnetization, the quality and the magnetic particle concentration.'

(Se utilizará un indicador de campo magnético, Cruz de Berthold u Octógono ASME, para medir la intensidad relativa del campo en la pieza, así como el sentido de la magnetización y calidad y concentración de las partículas magnéticas.)

Thanks a lot.

2. ChipMacShmon

ChipMacShmon Senior Member

j. polski
    and what about: ​at

3. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    well... I don't think so but I'm not a native...

4. SydLexia Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    I assume that the "pieza" has become magnetized and in that case I would say "of the field of the piece/item".

syd

5. ChipMacShmon

ChipMacShmon Senior Member

j. polski
    Maybe I'm wrong but I think that there is some kind of magnetic field and an item in the field. So IMO what we are looking for is the strength (actually I don't know why to choose strength instead of intensity to translate: intensidad) of the field at the point where it (the item) is placed.

6. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Because as far as I know the word used is "strenght" not "intensity"

7. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Really? not a "postion" preposition?

8. Cheeky-Monkey Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    The I would say "'A magnetic field indicator will be used, a Berthold or an ASME Penetrameter, to measure the relative field strength of the piece, as well as the direction of the magnetization, the quality and the magnetic particle concentration.'