the remaining customers

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Moon Palace, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    Hello everyone,
    An easy phrase on the look of it, but there seems to be some haze in my brain today, and the sentence doesn't make it too easy:

Evidence suggests that the remaining customers are healthier. (context: it is an article about the smoking ban)

A l'évidence, les clients qui restent (?) sont en meilleure santé.

The remaining customers are those who don't quit going to the pub on account of the smoking ban, and needless to say I just can't feel satisfied with my translation. Any better idea will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Punky Zoé

Punky Zoé Senior Member

Pau
    France - français
    Bonjour Moon Palace

Pas si "évident", en effet, de ne pas tomber dans l'ambiguïté ...
    Peut-être, "ceux qui resteront clients" ou "ceux qui continueront à fréquenter" ?

3. Aoyama Senior Member

川崎市、巴里 (黎)
    仏(佛)法語צרפתית Clodoaldien
    Les "clients qui resteront" comme l'a dit Punky Zoé ...
    On penserait aussi à "les irréductibles" (ceux que la règlementation anti-tabac ne découragera pas ...).

Les gens valent souvent mieux que leur masque ;)

4. Moon Palace

Lyon
    French
    Thanks Punky Zoé, I'll go for 'ceux qui continuent à fréquenter les pubs', but I'll stick with the present since the evidence is linked to research further evoked in the article, and it is a fact.
    And thanks Aoyama. I like 'les irréductibles', but it would go too far since the article is rather neutral.

5. dannyv Senior Member

It seems that those customers who remain are the loyal customers or regular customers (the "regulars" in AE), meaning those who will frequent the pub no matter what ban is in effect (within reason). And now it seems that these people are healthier due to the fact that they are no longer exposed to second-hand smoke because of the ban. I may be wrong.

6. Moon Palace

Lyon
    French
    Thanks for your guess, dannyv, but here I don't think it fits since the 'remaining customers' are meant to echo the fact that the number of customers in Scotland has dropped owing to the smoking ban there.