the response to "not feeling well"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by yukinohana, Jan 11, 2011.

1. yukinohana Senior Member

Japanese
    Hello,

If a friend said, "I'm not felling well." what should I respond? I think there can be two types of context:

1. When I want to know what happened to him, should I go, "what happened to you?" or "what's wrong?" Which sentence do u think correct, and do you have other suggestions?

2. When I want to express my good wish for him, should I go, "I hope you'll be fine." or just "You'll be fine."? Do you actually say that in this situation? And do they sound sincere, instead of just lip service at all? If you don't say that in real, what would you suggest?

Thanks.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    1. What's wrong?
    2. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get better soon.

3. yukinohana Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you for the response, Copyright.

In example 1, is it also okay to say, "What's wrong with you?" or "What's up?"?

Thank you again.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Those two are fine depending on your relationship with the person you're asking. They're casual, for use with a friend.

5. yukinohana Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you again, Copyright.

If one person got on the other person's never by doing something crazy, and the other person said, "What's wrong with you? Are you out of your mind?" Does "What's wrong with you" here have the same meaning as the one in the illness case from the original thread?

Thanks.

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    For illness, it's usually physical. For crazy, it's usually mental. So there is that distinction. But in both cases, you are asking what the problem is.