The Science Class(room)

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by bigbeno37, Feb 7, 2013.

1. bigbeno37 New Member

English
    Salute tutti!

Earlier on this afternoon, me and my friend were heading off to the Science room in my school when I'm like 'Hm...what would The Science Room' be in Italiano?'

After a few seconds, and considering L'Aula means 'The Classroom', di means 'of', and Scienza means 'Science', I concluded that it would be pronounced something like the one that follows:

L'Aula di Scienza

Now, knowing full well that the Grammar of Inglese and Italiano are different, is my assumption correct?

2. Fooler Senior Member

Padova
    Italian (Italy)
    Or better known as L'Aula di ScienzE too

3. bigbeno37 New Member

English
    So I'd assume that Scienza and Scienze are the 'same thing', but in different contexts? If so, why is it ScienzE here instead of ScienczA?

4. Fooler Senior Member

Padova
    Italian (Italy)
    ScienzA is singular and scienzE is plural.

In this context I personally use both. But you can hear scienzE as the plural word involves the entire science fields

5. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    Ciao Fooler :), perdonami se intervengo, ma io ho sempre sentito e usato solo "aula di scienze", non "aula di scienza". Se vogliamo fare i pignoli :D, in questo tipo di aula si fa un po' di tutto, quindi in base alla tua affermazione "the plural word involves the entire science fields" sarebbe più corretto usare il plurale.
    :)

6. Fooler Senior Member

Padova
    Italian (Italy)
    Concordo Mary (ciao). Infatti come ho riportato io ho anche usato e sentito dire (ok, non sempre) scienzA.......let's say....deformazione personale :eek:

7. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Hello bigbeno and welcome to the Forum. This is your English teacher speaking ;).
    For the benefit of Italian speakers here who are learning English, the Forum rules insist on standard grammar, so:
    me and my friend were heading off :cross: - My friend and I were heading off......:tick:

Una piccola correzione - hope you don't mind. We all do it for each other here. :)

8. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    You're right, and our italian friends should be aware of it, but it's common BE usage, believe me.:) If I were to express myself that way in an informal context I'd sound like the Queen ("my husband and I":D).

9. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Well, it's pretty common here too, Jo! But we grammar diehards never give in! ;)