(The) side

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    What is that word in your language? I also wondered what you associate with it - or how you combine them. The same as in English or more, broader?

Dutch: zijde (short form: zij - as in opzij, aside), kant, maybe marge (margin), aspect, facet.

- facet,aspect: veelzijdig, many-sided, polyvalent
    - periphery,margin: aan de kant laten, opzij zetten, leave/ set aside (the latter may refer to an investment – imoney that is no longer actively used); kanttekening (note in the margin, gloss> a comment)
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. e2-e4 X Senior Member

In Russian the word is "сторона", and its use is comparable to that of the English word: cubes, roads, counters, ways, regions, problems, agreements, hills and even rivers (the latter is possible only in some contexts) — all of them have sides, "стороны". Note that roads have the left side and the right side, ways have the source "side" and the destination "side", regions have sides all along their borders (in which direction to go, being inside the region), and counters have the "down" side and the "up" side (in which direction to count, in what way). But human bodies do not have "стороны"; they have "бока" ("бок").

The word "сторона" may also designate a region as a whole, though usually we use the word "страна" for this, which is a Church-Slavonic by origin counterpart of the word "сторона". The word "страна" may be used to mean "a land" or "a state".

Another interesting meaning of the Russian word "сторона" is related to "being at the side", ""being nearby", "being not in the center", "being not here", "being outside", "being aside", "being different". For example:
    - "сторонний": not related to the "center" of the action (for example, "not authentic", "detached");
    - "посторонний": outside, extraneous, (literally more or less "byside");
    - "сторониться": to shun, to stand aside;
    - "отложить в сторону": to put aside, not to use temporarily;
    - "пойти на сторону": to be unfaithful towards one's spouse (lit: "to go aside", "to go into a side", this one is colloquial);
    - "моё дело — сторона!": saying: lit. "my deal is {a side}/{different}!", that means "I don't play your games!", "I'm not going to participate!".
    - "стоять в стороне": to stand aside, not to interfere, not to step in.

The root "стран" (like in "страна") is present in the word "странный", which means "not usual", "calling for a wonder", "strange" (but not "foreign").

According to that link (Max Vasmer's etymological dictionary, in Russian), the origin of the words "сторона" and "страна" should have been connected with extending and stretching. By the way, in modern Russian there is also a word "распространяться", that indeed means "to spread", "to extend" and "to be propogated". Here the prefix "рас" means something like "for each", the prefix "про" means that the action is directional, and "ся" is a reciprocal suffix.

The transliteration of the roots in question:
    "сторон" => "storon"
    "стран" => "stran"
    "бок" => "bok"
  3. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek the generic word by which the side is described is the feminine noun «πλευρά» /ple'vra/ a Classical feminine noun «πλευρὰ» pleu'ră --> any side, flank, human & animal rib from PIE base *pela-/*pelh₂-, plain, flat (cf. in the Christian Bible, John 19:34 --> «εἷς τῶν στρατιωτῶν ἐκέντησε μὲ λόγχην τήν πλευράν αὐτοῦ, καὶ εὐθύς ἐξῆλθεν αἷμα καὶ ὕδωρ» "one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water")
    In Modern Greek the rib is described by the same word in neuter case: «πλευρό» /ple'vro/
    Many-sided: Adj. «πολύπλευρος, -η, -ο» /po'liplevros po'liplevri po'liplevro/ (masc. fem. neut.); compound, adj. and adv. «πολυ-» --> many, much (PIE base *ple-/*plā-, much) + «πλευρά» (see above)
    Periphery & margin are different words from different roots.
  4. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch

I hadforgotten about that meaning. But can it refer to a rib as well?
    Is italso the general word for side? Do you use it in many different ways? --- Butnot as edge, I understand, or margin of a page?
  5. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    We’d never refer to a source/ destination ‘side’, that is special. Also that human bodies do not have /sotrana/.

That issomething I recognize. We have b-uit-en,not out-side, we have adventure, not really zijstap/ go aside, sidestep, only escapade, and things like that. I’d like to hear more about ‘a side different’: how do you analyze that? Is itsomething like the other side? The rest is perfectly recognizable.

I think I read that there is some similar etymology in Dutch.
  6. arielipi Senior Member

Im not sure which word exactly you mean when you think of side.
    Hebrew: tzad(as in side left or side right, taking a side in a fight,etc)

Perhaps if you give more info on which one you want ill help more.
  7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I think of the side of the street, of your body, of a problem. I try to keep it broad, you see...
  8. arielipi Senior Member

Tzad it is.
  9. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    Sida - means both the side of something and the page in a book or magazine
    Vänd sida - turn a page, but can also mean turn to the other side
    Kortsida, långsida - short side, long side of for example a table or something rectangular
    Bredsida - broadside
    Vid sidan av - on the side, for example stand on the side of the road
    Å ena sidan ... å andra sidan - on one hand ... on the other hand
    Från hans sida sett - seen from his point of view
    Ha ont i sidan - have a flank pain
    Stå vid deras sida - stand beside them, for example in a fight
    Lägga åt sidan - set aside
    Vara mångsidig - have many talents, be a jack-of-all-trades

Kant - side
    En bordskant - the side of a table
    Vid vägkanten - on the side of the road
    Kanta - border, for example duken kantades av en spets - the tablecloth had a lace border
    Kantig - angular, for example ett kantigt ansikte - an angular face or han har ett kantigt sätt - he has a difficult/stubborn/inflexible manner

Vägren - road side

Marginal - margin; the side of a (written) page, att skriva i marginalen - make a note in the margin (kanttekening)
  10. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Not that we use this meaning often — only in certain contexts we do. For example, when referring to a bus' route, or when referring to a method to solve a problem (solving problems can be compared to going along a way, can't it?), or when referring to a direction of counting (as I already mentioned).

This is only a joke of etymology, I presume. In fact, the word "бок" can be used in extended meanings too, though way less often and only when something reminds of sides in the sense of a geometrical body's side (for example, aspects of a problem).
    Those were two separate variants of the 'literal' translation, not a single one. The word "сторона" in this saying does not have its usual meaning, instead it means that the speaker's problem is a 'side' one towards the problem of his or her interlocutors, that his/her affairs are different from the affairs of those with whom he or she is speaking. Nothing more.
  11. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Yes the Classical «πλευρά» and the Modern «πλευρό» refer to the rib also.
    The colloquialism of rib is «παΐδι» /pa'iði/ (sing. nom. neut.) and «παΐδια» /pa'iðʝa/ (pl. nom. neut.) from the Classical neuter noun «παγίδιον» pă'gĭdīŏn --> snare, gib.
    «Παγίδιον» > «πα(γ)ίδιο(ν) > «παΐδι»
    In the vernacular, 99 out of 100 times, when we are talking about «παϊδάκια» /pai'ðaca/ (pl. nom. neut. diminutive of «παΐδι») we mean this or that
    Yes almost every side is known as «πλευρά», but not as edge --> «ακμή» /a'kmi/ (fem.), «κόψη» /'kopsi/ (fem.) etc. or margin --> «περιθώριο» /peri'θorio/ (neut.)
  12. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I'd never associate ribs with sides, but this is interesting!
  13. arielipi Senior Member

Oh right! ribs!, in hebrew its tzla'ot in plural, tzela in single.
    Tzela is another word for side, such as fifth wheel in hebrew would be side three(tzad shlishi).
    Tzela is side mostly in relationships.
  14. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

The Hungarian equivalent is oldal which is of ancient Ugrian origin. That word has 3 main meanings.
    1) the left or right half of a human, animal, thing, space.. English ≈ side, flank..
    2) surface of a thin object; page of a book
    3) quality of something/someone: aspect, quality, side...
  15. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    And can you combine them, as in besides, put aside?
  16. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog: 1.) the side of the street= sa tabi ng daan. (side=tabi) 2.) the right side of the body.= sa kanang bahagi ng katawan.(side=bahagi) 3.) put aside.= ilagay sa tabi. 4.) the correct side = ang wastong panig. (side=panig) 5.) beside me.= sa tabi ko/ kalapit ko.
  17. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Are they interchangeable, M ?
  18. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

To most Filipinos , Side is "Sa Tabi" but to the real Tagalog it can be a.) sa gilid b.)kalapit etc. I cannot say they can be used repeatedly or interchangeably. But the use of the word "sa tabi" can be understood by many.
  19. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    It seems to me in the meantime that we must distinguish between aspect and margin, which results in different translations:

Polish: krawędziei bokiHungarian: élekés az oldalak
    Lithuanian : kraštai ir iš šonų,
  20. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    German reminds me - about two years later - of other uses:
    - pages (Seiten) - Dutch: bladzijde (leaf/page side)
    - even websites, so it seems...
  21. Holger2014 Senior Member

Yes, for some reason we use the term Webseite for 'website' - even though Seite doesn't mean 'site' but 'page'...
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015