1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

the similarity highly symbolically binds them together

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Cocokukus, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Cocokukus Junior Member

Italian
    hola a todos, queria saber si este espression es correcta, y si no, qual es el orden correcto de los componentes.
    muchas gracias

"the similarity between the two highly symbolically binds them together"

2. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    I added the commas but I think the phrase can do without them or at least without the second one.

3. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng(Canada)
    Interesante chileno. Para mi, el original es más o menos correct. Por ejemplo:

"the similarity between the two binds them together, highly symbolically "

No estoy seguro sin embargo, depende del contexto.

4. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    I know. Since I don't know either grammar, it is difficult to explain, at least for me. :)

5. Jim2996 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    American English
    This is a great example of an AWKWARD sentence. It is grammatically correct (if you add a period and capitalize the first word), but hard to decode and understand. No reader can be expected to understand it without a long pause to think. Even then, many won't get it. The solution is to rewrite the sentence. But first, does anyone have a problem with:

The similarity between the two binds them together. or
    The similarity between the two symbolically binds them together. I hope not.

Surely, if something can be done in a symbolic way it can be done in a highly symbolic way, or highly symbolically. There is surely no mistake in modifying an adverb with another adverb. So, grammar allows one to write (correctly):

The similarity between the two highly symbolically binds them together. But, it is damn hard to understand when you first see it. On first reading, I expected highly to start a phrase that would still be describing the subject, but that doesn't work; I have to reset, and to consciously try and figure out what goes with what.

The solution is to rewrite. There are many ways, a few:

The similarity between the two symbolically binds them together. (if the highly isn't important)
    The similarity between the two binds them together, in a highly symbolic way.
    It is the similarity between the two that highly symbolically binds them together.
    They are highly symbolically bound together, by their similarity.

By the way, awkward is the word that is used to describe this in books on English usage or in books on mistakes not to make in writing English. It must also be on the web. It's a technical term.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  6. Cocokukus Junior Member

Italian
    :eek: thanks to all guys... Jim, I'm speechless <3