1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

the stoning of Satan

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by seitt, Feb 19, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

According to a Turkish article I've just read, the act of stoning Satan during the ḥajj is known as جمرة in Arabic, but I can find no evidence of that in my Arabic dictionaries – what do you call this stoning of Satan, please? Is it perhaps a word similar to جمرة?

All the best, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Crimson-Sky

Crimson-Sky Senior Member

بلاد بابل - Babylonia
    Arabic-العربية
    The act is actually called "رمي الجمرات"/"رمي الجِمار".

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, how very interesting!

Please could you give the exact pronunciation of these? Does it literally mean "the throwing of live coals", by any chance?

4. Xence Senior Member

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    Hi,

The literal translation of "stoning of Satan" is رجم الشيطان (rajm ash-shayTaan), though رمي الجمرات (ramy al-jamaraat) is an accepted and established phrase for saying the same thing.

As for the word جمرة, this rather indicates the emplacement where the pilgrim should throw the stones or pebbles. They are actually three walls.

In fact, the word جمرة, here, has nothing to do with live coals but is related to Ancient Arabs and means roughly something like a "tribal unanimous agreement against enemy" (See Lisan Al-Arab)

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, truly fascinating.
    Ah, yes جِمار is "jimār", isn't it? Is it an alternative to جمرات as a plural of جمرة?

6. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Yes.
    A جمرة is one of the big rocks being pelted by small pebbles, regardless of its ancient etymology.

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, most useful to know this. Are there actually three of them, maybe in wall-like shapes? (Xence talks of three walls.)

8. Xence Senior Member

Algeria (Arabic - French)
  9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, a picture worth a thousand words!