the suffixe "t"

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by True North, May 5, 2013.

1. True North Junior Member

I am trying to construct simple sentences: Is this pattern correct? Is the t used to end the object in these situations?

A csalad TV-t néz.

A macska egért üldöz.

A nő kutyat táplál.

2. NagyKiss Senior Member

I am only learning myself, but yes this is correct. An object of some action gets the "t".
  3. True North Junior Member

Köszönöm :)
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
  4. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungarian - Hungary
    Yes, with a little correction:
    The special characters are available in the toolbar.
  5. True North Junior Member

Thank you Zsanna for the clarification.
    I did not know that the vowels change when adding t to the object. I notice that egér takes et. Is this the rule after r?
  6. Olivier0 Senior Member

français - France
    So this is not about t in (verb) conjugation but in (noun) declension/suffixation.
    The rule for the linking vowel is that there is none after semi-liquids like r, n, ny, l, ly, j usually. But egér -> egere- is an exception, and such cases have to be learned when you learn the word, they are shown in good dictionaries.
    Among vowels, only final a and e become á and é before a suffix (except for a few suffixes which are too recently used as suffixes and do not vary with vowel harmony, like -kor, -ként).
    -- Olivier
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  7. True North Junior Member

Thank you Olivier for the information. Merci!
  8. Akitlosz Senior Member

A család TV-t néz.

A macska egeret üldöz.

A nő kutyát táplál. / A nő kutyát etet.

Yes. The word egér receives a knitter sound too in an accusative, because of this will be egeret.
  9. tomtombp Senior Member

We don't ever say "kutyát táplál". "Kutyát etet" and "kutyát itat" are also rare in common speech. What we use is "Enni ad a kutyának." or "Inni ad a kutyának." or "Megeteti a kutyát."/"Megitatja a kutyát."
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  10. francisgranada Senior Member

As a native speaker, I understand perfectly what you want to say. But the choice of the adequate expression depends on the context, so I absolutely don't find the original phrase ("A nő kutyát táplál") erroneous or innatural, as no context is given.

The original question is about the accusative marker -t, so I suggest to open a new thread about "táplálni, etetni, enni adni ..." if we want to discuss this topic in details.
  11. tomtombp Senior Member

I can only think of one -very special- context in which "kutyát táplál" sounds natural. Not to be off topic, if someone is interested, please start a new thread.
  12. True North Junior Member

If I had to start over, I would have posted a title: "Simple noun declension with t"

As to the sentences not being idiomatic Hungarian, I was only (as a complete beginner) asking what was theoretically possible.

Thanks again to everyone...Kösönöm!
  13. Akitlosz Senior Member

YOU don't say ever that! Only you.

Kutyát etet is an absolutely correct Hungarian sentence.