the sun don't shine up the same dog's ass every day

Discussion in 'English Only' started by vincenthsu, Aug 15, 2011.

1. vincenthsu Junior Member

chinese
    the sun don't shine up the same dog's ass every day

Guys ,what does it mean?

Thanks!!

2. rinmach Senior Member

Midwest USA
    English, Russian
    I have never heard this expression used, however, I would guess that it means that you can only be lucky in doing something once.
    Has anybody else heard this, and if so, in which part of the English-speaking world? :confused:

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
  4. vincenthsu Junior Member

chinese
    Need context ? I thouhgt it's just some idiom or slang which i don't know.
    OK,here we go,
    Just one of them days kind of magic,one of them days where everything turned out right. You are wondering if it ain't been maybe sort of long dry spell for you till you took up with the notion that that's the way the world is.But even if you feel that way,what you got to understand is that the sun don't shine up the same dog's ass every day."

5. Kate Abeja

Kate Abeja Junior Member

Never heard this in my life, but it sounds to me like a bizarre combination between "thinking the sun shines out of someone's ass" (thinking someone is all that, that everything they do is wonderful) and having the "sun shine on you" (fortune and luck shine on you). I would interpret it almost the same as rinmach - You can't have all the luck every day.

Cheers! :)

6. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    If we're allowed to speculate, then I would hazard that it means the same as 'Lady Luck is a fickle mistress'.

7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Are you quoting written material, Vincent? If so, name your source.

8. vincenthsu Junior Member

chinese
    Cormac McCarthy's play--- Sunset limited

9. vincenthsu Junior Member

chinese
    Thank you guys
    I think it means the same as "You can't have all the luck every day." and "Lady Luck is a fickle mistress":D