the team have/has

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by angjo, Dec 8, 2007.

1. angjo New Member

Spain - Spanish
    Ya sé que THE TEAM HAS... es correcto.

Pero muchas veces he oido THE TEAM HAVE...

¿Tambien es correcto?

Thanks everybody:)
  2. Jumbles5533 New Member

UK English
    Hi there

Sorry - I can only answer in English

Collective nouns like team and government are - theoretically - singular, but modern usage allows both forms:The team has and the team have

In the first - the emphasis is on the team as a unit but in the second - the person is thinking more of the members of the team. I guess that really in the last would be more accurate to say exactly that - but both forms are used.
  3. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod, I say, Moderator

American English
    Here's a related thread, about a rowing crew:

A search for collective + nouns in the forum will return a plethora of previous threads.

Collective nouns are much more common in BE than in AE. In American English, the team has.

4. JohanJM Senior Member

New York
    English - United States
    The word "team" by its very nature refers to one whole part-- individuals all working "as a team". Maybe that is why we hear "the team has" much more often- when someone's using the word "team", they're usually not intending to stress the individual aspect. As for "the team have", that is almost never heard in the US. In such a case, we would say "the team members have" or "the members of the team have" (at least in my English).

It's a murky subject though, as you'll see if you follow the link posted by a forero above. The word "crew" is a great example; it's a collective noun used both in the singular and plural. As for why plural usage for "crew" sounds more acceptable than for "family", I'm not sure!
  5. LorrySanchez Senior Member

Ireland (English)
    "The team has" is the grammatically correct form, but "the team have" is also used frequently in UK and Irish English.

Likewise you might also hear both " England have qualified for the European Championships" and " England has qualified for the European Championships".

But not this year.