1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

The thin end of the wedge

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by rupertbrooke, Mar 27, 2013.

1. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    'The end of the wedge' means the start of a harmful development:-
    'There are those who see the closure of the hospital as the thin end of the wedge.'

2. peptidoglycan Senior Member

Turkish
    Hi ruper. This is Turkish Section of the forum. I don't understand your post.

3. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    Is there a Turkish equivalent for 'the thin end of the wedge'. It means in a long-winded paraphrase:- sonradan başa iş açabilecek önemsiz şey.

4. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    The closest Turkish equivalent of the phrase that I can think of is çıban başı (basically the head of a boil), although it's mostly used to indicate people rather than events and such.

5. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    Thanks so much! I look for concise phrases rather than long definitions. This phrase, subject to the reservations you have made, is fit for purpose.

6. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    Glad that helped!

7. Estella Senior Member

Turkey, Turkish
    I'd like to add that the TDK (Türk Dİl Kurumu) dictionary defines the phrase "çıbanın başını koparmak" as "ağır bir sorunun patlak vermesine yol açmak" (http://tdkterim.gov.tr/bts/)
    So it refers to actions rather than to people and therefore could be more or less the exact equivalent of the phrase "the thin end of the wedge".

8. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    Excellent addition to Reverence's entry. It is almost the exact equivalent. Many thanks, Estella, for the reference also!