1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

The thought came to him that perhaps she wasn't ill at all, that she was skiving off

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by SergeantBilko, Oct 17, 2007.

1. SergeantBilko Junior Member

Oxford
    England
    This extarct comes from a literary text. I'm just trying to get my head round the tenses involved here. Here is the original text

The thought came to him that perhaps she wasn't ill at all, that she was skiving off work and had gone out somewhere.

and here is my blundered attempt.

Il se rendait compte qu’elle ne soit pas malade du tout, elle sécha son travail et sortit quelque part.

Anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks

2. Lil_Dave Senior Member

France - French
    L'idée lui vint qu’elle n'était peut-être pas malade du tout, qu'elle manquait le travail et était sortie/partie quelque part.
    or "Il se mit à suspecter que ..."

3. DOM78

DOM78 Senior Member

Plaisir, near Versailles
    France ; français
    Hi Bilko, here is my version :
    "L'idée lui vint qu'elle n'était peut-être pas malade du tout, qu'elle s'était éclipsée de son travail pour aller quelque part."

4. JD-Styles Senior Member

Canada, English & French
    Well for the first part, it sounds better to me to translate it more literally. The second part should use the imperfect tense. So my translation would be:

"La pensée lui vint que peut-être elle n'était pas malade du tout, qu'elle séchait son travail et sortait à quelque part."

5. SergeantBilko Junior Member

Oxford
    England
    Cheers for the uber fast replies. Thankyou both (edit three)! :)