1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

the use of 'the'

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hassanbaudhan, May 6, 2014.

1. hassanbaudhan Junior Member

Arabic
    can anyone help me which sentence of the three sentences is the best. I feel that the first sentence is the best choice.

One of the listening problems of learners is their inability to remember *meaning of unfamiliar words.*
    One of the listening problems of learners is their inability to remember *the* *meaning of unfamiliar words*.
    One of the listening problems of learners is their inability to remember *the* *meanings of unfamiliar words*.
    thank you very much

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I would choose #3 below (#2 in your series above).

For completeness in your question, you need to add one more:

1. One of the listening problems of learners is their inability to remember meaning of unfamiliar words.
    2. One of the listening problems of learners is their inability to remember meanings of unfamiliar words.
    3. One of the listening problems of learners is their inability to remember the meaning of unfamiliar words.
    4. One of the listening problems of learners is their inability to remember the meanings of unfamiliar words.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. Hildy1 Senior Member

English - US and Canada
    One of the listening problems of learners is their inability to remember *meaning of unfamiliar words.* :cross:
    One of the listening problems of learners is their inability to remember *the* *meaning of unfamiliar words*. :tick:
    One of the listening problems of learners is their inability to remember *the* *meanings of unfamiliar words*. :tick:

4. hassanbaudhan Junior Member

Arabic
    thank you guys for your answers. Can you please also justify your choice.