The vowel in kaun, kaisaa (कौन, कैसा़) - ways of corrupting ..

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by jakubisek, Mar 31, 2013.

1. jakubisek Junior Member

Czechia
    Czech
    The following is aimed at Indians only (native as well as non-native Hindi speakers)

Does it sound bearable (and, above all understandable) to you, if someone trying to speak /read Hindi will pronounce instead of the broad E in Hindi "Kaisaa" a sound identical to the i in English "time" and instead of the broad O in "Kaun" will pronounce "a+u"?

Let's start with an assumption that there are only 3 options to choose from, each of them approximation (or rather terrible corruption) of the ऐ औ. That is actually the case of an on-line transliteration system SaypU, for which this is to be decided:

1) Option A:

कैसा will sound like कॅय्सा and कौन like कॅउन Does it sound very horrible? If yes, do you think you would not understand?

(By कॅ i mean the first vowel would be anything between the normal short vowel अ, the English front "a" in "man" or a shortened version of आ )

2) Option B:
    the two examples above will sound केय्सा and कोउन (कोव्न )

3) Option C: The person will pronounce ऐ as ए and औ as ओ, so "how" will sound केसे and "who" will sound कोन

I think the option 3 is the worst and just hesitate if the A is a better solution, or the B is, or it is all the same.

(This is being decided for an online "transcription" tool that tries to give a very approximate representations of various languages' sound by one and the same set of letters, used in a certain default way - which I am not in position to change)

2. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    "kaiisaa" (something like कईसा) and "kauun" (something like कऊन) are 'standard' Bihari pronunciations, so very much acceptable :D I didn't really understand A and B above, so I gave these; hope this helps. Option C is definitely a no-no.

3. Chhaatr Senior Member

Hindi
    To add to GB's post, the "kaiisaa" and "kauun" as explained above would be acceptable as this is how you would hear them in many parts of Eastern UP as well in addition to Bihar. However, you wouldn't find such pronunciation among news readers on TV.

Option C, although not incomprehensible, would certainly seem out of place. I haven't yet come across people pronouncing like this.

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Just one small point. Even on this Forum there are Hindi speakers who, to the best of my knowledge, are not Indians. So, the term "Indians only" will restrict the number of responses you might get.

5. jakubisek Junior Member

Czechia
    Czech
    Great to hear. THis is what I thought, thanks for confirming. So I can leave it the way I did it.