their passed over beloveds

Discussion in 'English Only' started by lanlesi, Jun 21, 2013.

1. lanlesi Junior Member

Hi everybody,

I have just read a sentence written by my friend, but I am so confused about the phrase "their passed over beloveds" in the following sentence:

"These people really miss their passed over beloveds."

To me, this phrase is not right, but my friend told me that it plays as an adjective which modifies beloveds. Am I right?
    If this phrase is wrong, can I change it into "their passed/gone beloveds"?

Thanks for all!
  2. Cagey post mod

English - US
    Hello lanlesi. :)

I believe your friend is thinking of the phrase "passed over" which is a euphemistic way to say that someone has died: they have passed over to a better world / to the other side [or whatever you believe exists after death].

However, we don't use 'passed over' as an adjective before the noun your friend has. I wouldn't use 'passed' or 'gone' ether. To replace 'passed over' I might use 'absent', if the context makes it clear that we are talking about people who have died.

Or I might use the words you suggest, but after the noun:
    "These people really miss their beloveds who have passed over."

"These people really miss their beloveds who have passed."

"These people really miss their beloveds who are gone."

"Beloveds"odd here as well. I can see that I should have asked for more information earlier.

Am I right that you are talking about people who have died? And who are the 'beloveds'? People they have loved, including parents and children, as well as husbands and wives? Or does it refer only to their romantic partners, their sweethearts or husbands and wives?
  3. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Do you consider "these people really miss their dearly departed" as a possible option?
  4. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    I like "these people really miss their dearly departed" but using it (and any other euphemistic phrase) would depend on the context of the whole piece.
  5. velisarius Senior Member

British English (Sussex)
    Isn't it "dear departed"?

unless we want to imply how expensive the funeral was?
  6. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I'd refer to them as loved ones: These people really miss their loved ones who are gone.