there are five of us

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by biodegraded, Nov 7, 2011.

1. biodegraded Member

English- England
    Здравствуйте! I've only just begun to learn Russian so have no idea to form my own suggestion for this phrase, but when talking about my family, how would I say that there are five of us (in the family?)

2. gvozd Senior Member

Нас в семье пятеро.
    Наша семья состоит из пяти человек.
  3. ahvalj

ahvalj Senior Member

Нас в семье пятеро.
    В семье нас пятеро.
    Нас пятеро в семье.
    These are more or less neutral. Other combinations are also possible — either in poetry, or with various emphatic meanings.
  4. Saluton Banned

Moscow, Russia
    В нашей семье пять человек.
  5. Albertovna

Albertovna Senior Member

Russian - Russia
    Нас в семье пять человек.

Also, (just for your information) in the past peasants often said "ртов/едоков" (Genitive Plural: mouths/eaters) instead of "человек," because food was limited and it was very important to know how much you could eat or work. DO NOT USE THIS!!
  6. biodegraded Member

English- England
    Спасибо, everyone! All these suggestions seem just right. Albertovna, does this mean that your translation is still used in modern Russian or has become archaic?
  7. gvozd Senior Member

It's not archaic. It's just used when you want to introduce your family with humour. Or you are complaining about low salary and necessity to feed your family members.
  8. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    В этом смысле по-английски five mouths to feed
  9. monica236 Member

And if I have to say "There were 7 of us"? What about "Нас было 7 человек"? Is it correct?
  10. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    The natives are evidently all asleep, but I can confirm that your sentence is correct.
  11. Maroseika Moderator

If you mean there were 7 of you in some place, it is correct. But in respect to the family it sounds clumsy. Better В семье нас было семеро (семь человек) (детей).