1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

There are still a lot <of> points I quite disagree with.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by a cooperator, Nov 8, 2011.

1. a cooperator

a cooperator Senior Member

Hi everyone,
    I hope all are in the very best of health

I need your help with this question, I hope you help me with sentence" I agree with you to a certain extent but there are still a lot <of> points I quite disagree with". And would you let me know why?

Peace,

2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    What's your question, a cooperator? Are you asking if "of" is necessary? If so, the answer is "yes".

3. a cooperator

Yes, it is, but what I know that after a determiner(a quantifier) comes a noun Without that it is preceded by a preposition, unless comes after the first determiner another determiner.

4. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    I must say I don't understand what you are saying, but Loob is right. "A lot of X" is standard.

5. a cooperator

What I meant is that my understanding was that after any determiner comes immediately a noun and doesn't come a preposition, except in case there is another determiner comes after the first. For instance, in my example " a lot " is a determiner and isn't followed by another determiner so that sentece should have rephrased like this"I agree with you to a certain extent but there are still a lot points I quite disagree with".

6. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    In this context 'a lot' requires 'of', in the same way, for instance, that 'a number' requires 'of'. A lot of points. A number of points. A range of points. And so on.

It would be a different story if you changed 'a lot' to, say, 'many'. You don't need 'of' in this: ' . . . there are still many points I disagree with'