there is/isn't any coke in the fridge

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by zafiro, Sep 25, 2009.

1. zafiro Senior Member

Español - Chile
    Hola a todos
    Encontré esta oración en un test de inglés, pero me parece incorrecta, ya que pienso que debería ser "there isn't any coke in the fridge". La correspondencia literal que le doy a la oración corregida que he hecho (con "isn't") es: "No hay nada de coca cola en el frio", ya que para mí, "any" en este caso está enfatizando la falta de coca. Pero si fuera "is" en vez de "isn't" es como decir: "Hay cualquier coca cola en el frio", lo cual me suena rarísimo.

¿Qué opinan? De estar correcta la oración original, ¿cuál es el significado/traducción?

Gracias de antemano
    :)

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Hi, zafiro. First, I'll attempt a translation of your question from Spanish into English. Since your question is a complicated one, I want to make sure that you can see exactly what I think you're asking. Next, I'll try to help you answer your question. Here's my version of your question:

I found this sentence in an English test, but it seems wrong to me, since I think it should be "there isn't any coke in the fridge". The literal meaning that I gave to my corrected version is "There isn't any coke in the fridge", since to me "any" in this case emphasizes the lack of coke. But if it were "is" instead of "isn't", that's like saying there's "any" coke in the fridge, which sounds strange to me.

Now, here's my answer to that question: Your first answer sounds right to me. By that, I mean to say that "there isn't any coke in the fridge" sounds like a good answer. If I understand your concern correctly, you're worried that by turning "there isn't any coke in the fridge" into "there is coke in the fridge" you are making a mistake. You're not. We can say that "there is coke in the fridge" without being wrong.

Zafiro, I want you to read this very carefully and then tell me if you think I understood your question. Once again, I want to remind you that I believe your answer is right. Also, in English it's fine to say "There is coke in the fridge." I think you're worried about "cualquier coca" here, which I would understand to mean something like "any coke at all". If you understand me so far, then we can agree that saying "there is any coke at all" in the fridge sounds strange. Don't worry, I think your first answer is right.

3. Valkyrie517 Senior Member

Washington DC
    American English
    Depende.

Si es una oración completa, entonces sí tienes razón. No suena bien la oración "There is any coke in the fridge."

Pero si es solamente una phrase, se puede usar con la palabra "if". Por ejemplo:

I was wondering if there was any coke in the fridge.

He looked to see if there was any coke in the fridge.

También en forma de pregunta se puede usar:

Is there any coke in the fridge?

4. zafiro Senior Member

Español - Chile
    Thanks a lot Owlman 5 and Valkyrie517 for your answers.

Now, Owlman 5, first of all I agree with your translation, but anyway I think you didn't understand my question as it was. Well, what I wanted to know (and Valkyrie517 answered) was whether it is possible or not to say: "there is any coke in the fridge". As I said before I found this sentence in an English test. It was one of the questions of it in which, without any context, I had to complete it by choosing the correct option from a list, that is, a multiple selection test. The original question in the test was the following:

_______________ any coke in the fridge.

A)There isn’t
    B)There is
    C)There aren’t
    D)There are

If I mark letter A) as the correct one, it is considered wrong, because according to the correction section it must be letter B). And it is here where I disagree, because the way I understand its meaning is: There is no coke left in the fridge (someone – maybe myself – finished them all, so now it’s necessary to buy more).

But if they tell me that letter B) is the correct one, I interpret it as: There is “any at all” coke in the fridge. I insist on saying that it doesn’t sound well to me. More than that, it makes no sense to me at all. At least in Spanish I would never say: “Hay cualquier coca en el frío. Saca la que prefieras”. If “take the one you prefer” is the final message I would rather say: “Hay gran variedad de cocas en el frío. Saca la que prefieras”, which into English is “There is a big variety of cokes in the fridge. Take the one you prefer”. Because of all I’ve said I totally agree with Valkyrie517. Her sentences make great sense to me.

I hope Owlman5 I had expressed myself clearly. If not, please, let me know. And, of course, if you disagree with me, too.
    :)

5. Valkyrie517 Senior Member

Washington DC
    American English
    The answer key is wrong.

"A" is the only possible correct answer in this case.

I'm pretty sure Owlman5 agrees with you too!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I absolutely agree with Valkyrie517, the answer key is wrong. Zafiro, I'm glad I didn't bungle the translation of your question into English too badly, and I'm sorry to have missed the point you were trying to make. It sounds like you have plenty of work on your hands, but if you ever want to give me an opinion on my Spanish in one of my posts, your opinion would be most welcome.

Good luck with that test, my friend.