1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

thereafter / hereafter

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Jeu_de_32, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Jeu_de_32 Junior Member

France, french
    Hi!!
    Someone could explain me the difference between these two words?
    Does it mean both "par la suite"?

Thanks a lot!!!!!! :)

JD32

2. ascoltate

ascoltate Senior Member

Montréal, QC
    U.S.A. & Canada, English
    "hereafter" refers to the present ("dorénavant", although in French you can still sometimes use that for the other meaning...)
    "thereafter" means "par la suite"...
    That didn't actually fully clear it up, did it?

"hereafter" means "from now on"
    "thereafter" means "from whatever point in time it was decided (which can't be now) on"

3. mally pense

mally pense Senior Member

Cheshire, England
    England, UK English
    "from whatever point in time it was (or will be) decided or expected or planned to happen"

e.g. payments will be on the 30th of September and thereafter on the last day of each calendar month.

4. Jeu_de_32 Junior Member

France, french
    Thank you!
    So, "hereafter" could be translated by "à partir de maintenant" and "thereafter" "à partir de ce moment" ou " par la suite".

If I would like to say: "comme decrit par la suite, j'ai étudié 3 configurations",
    It's better to write: "As shown thereafter, 3 configurations were investigated..." Is it true?

5. mally pense

Cheshire, England
    England, UK English
    I'm not too familiar with how "par la suite" is used in French (OK, not at all familiar to be precise!), but "thereafter" means "à partir d'un moment passé" or "à partir d'un moment futur". I'm not even sure if that's good French, but hopefully you will understand what I'm saying.

It sounds a little unclear. Can I ask what the preceding text is?

Note: We usually use words for small numbers, i.e. "three configurations" rather than "3 configurations".

6. ascoltate

ascoltate Senior Member

Montréal, QC
    U.S.A. & Canada, English

Well, it's certainly not "hereafter"... but in your sentence neither word sounds quite right, although I'd need to have more context to be sure. I would say "As shown later..." (=plus loin) or something like that-- but a sentence or two before would be helpful to be sure...

7. Chike Junior Member

Canada, English
    perhaps "As I will describe in what follows"?

8. Jeu_de_32 Junior Member

France, french
    I am sorry for the late reply!

I guess that "as shown later" is the most accurate translation. Because I would like to say that "the configurations will be described later in the report". So I can't use thereafter in this case, can I?

Thanks a lot for your answers!!! It's really instructive and helpful!

:thumbsup:

9. mally pense

Cheshire, England
    England, UK English
    Maybe they will be described "ci-dessous", or perhaps some other form of words which is normally applied to a text rather than a temporal/historical sequence of events?

Actually, ci-dessous would probably imply immediately below, so probably isn't the right choice anyway, but there must be a more appropriate choice of words in this context than hereafter/thereafter I think. Maybe "dans les chapitres ci-dessous" ?

10. Jeu_de_32 Junior Member

France, french
    Thanks a lot!!

Ok it's good to know that "hereafter" and "thereafter" are used in temporal context. Maybe could I say "in the sequel"? But it sounds really formal to me.

11. ascoltate

ascoltate Senior Member

Montréal, QC
    U.S.A. & Canada, English
    you can't say "sequel" - it's not formal at all - but it has a very specific meaning (la suite d'un film)...
    you can say "described in what follows" - that actually sounds better than what I suggested before...

12. mally pense

Cheshire, England
    England, UK English
    The sequel would be the next report that is written, or more specifically, the next report in this particular series of reports. I don't think this is what you mean because you're trying to say later in the same report. (Also, as ascoltate has just pointed out, it tends to be used more specifically for films, books, etc).

Apologies by the way that I've drifted into the idea that you are looking for a translation into French rather than finding the suitable English words. With this in mind, the following would work in your example, and is very close to what you've already suggested:

As will be shown, three configurations were investigated

13. Jeu_de_32 Junior Member

France, french
    thanks a lot Ascolate and Mally pense!!!!!!!!!

14. chiaps New Member

Paris, France
    Italie - Italian
    Could we simply write:

"in the following chapters"
    or
    "in the chapters below" ?

Thank you for your answers.

15. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Yes, far better! Nobody has yet thought to mention that hereafter and thereafter are old-fashioned legal and academic jargon, best avoided.

16. chiaps New Member

Paris, France
    Italie - Italian
    Thank you Keith!