Therefore [at the beginning of a sentence]

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by VrtyWvr, Dec 12, 2007.

1. VrtyWvr Junior Member

Sussex, England
    English, U.K.
    Hi.

I want to write "Therefore, a good diet should consist of..." in French. I know how to write all of it, except 'therefore', which I looked up and only found 'donc', but it doesn't sound quite right to me.

Can anyone help?

2. mogador Senior Member

Marseille, France
    FRENCH AND US
    Obviously you don't like how donc hooks with with the previous part. How about c'est pourquoi. If you don't like it, please provide us with context

3. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    I'd be inclined to rearrange the French sentence to the equivalent of A good diet should therefore consist of...

4. candypole Senior Member

australia english
    Donc is fine, whether at the beginning of the sentence or rearranged as Kelly B suggests. I come across it all the time in academic articles and it's also used in speech a lot. Here's a couple of examples: Nous avons donc cherché à vérifier la réalité... or nous avons donc demandé aux professeurs However, there are problem about 20 different phrases that mean the same thing. e.g. c'est pour cette raison que, par conséquent, ainsi etc.

5. candypole Senior Member

australia english
    Sorry, I mean probably, not problem

6. marcolo

marcolo Senior Member

Bordeaux, France
    France, french
    Yeah, I don't find fantastic "Donc " at the beginning of a sentence. The meaning is slightly different, it emphasizes the link. It can be used in the conversation.
    For example :

- Je suis arrivé à Saint-Lazare.
    - Donc, tu as pris le train !

The second person emphasizes on the deduction, the tone is very different if the persons says rather

- tu as donc pris le train.

In that case, it is more a flat statement.
    In a written text, it is similar, you insist if you put "Donc" at the beginning of a sentence. I agree with candypole, 20 ways to say it differently. I prefer

Par conséquent,
    Ainsi,

7. marie7771 Junior Member

Toronto, Ontario (Canada)
    Canadian English, Russian
    Shouldn't it be "Alors,......."?