They don't care whether it's really best for the individuals

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Anglo-Greek, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Anglo-Greek Senior Member

London, UK
    English
    I want to say "They don't care whether it's really best for the individuals" or "They aren't interested in whether it's the best thing for the individuals". The context, in case it's relevant, is that I'm talking about schools wanting all of their pupils to go to university because it makes the school look good, regardless of whether it's best for the individuals to go to university or not.

I'm unsure about the best phrase to use for "they don't care" and the way to express "best" in the sense of "the best thing", and I'm quite confused about the "whether" structure, but here's my attempt anyway:

Им всё равно, эта ли лучше за личности.

2. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Личности wouldn't work in this case.

Им всё равно, считают ли этот путь лучшим сами ученики (выпускники).
    Их не волнует, считают ли этот путь лучшим сами ученики (выпускники).

3. Anglo-Greek Senior Member

London, UK
    English
    Thanks! Am I right in thinking that this literally means something along the lines of "They don't care whether the pupils consider this to be the best path themselves"?

4. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Yes, you are right. I can't give a good literal translation of your original sentence. Maybe others will.

5. Anglo-Greek Senior Member

London, UK
    English
    Yeah, I really like the use of "путь", but I'd rather just say "They don't care whether this is the best path for the pupils" than "They don't care whether the pupils themselves consider this to be the best path". Would it not be possible to say something like...
    "Им всё равно, ли етот путь лучший для ученков."

6. Healer New Member

Russian
    Им все равно, является ли этот путь лучшим для учеников.

7. Sobakus Senior Member

Как будет лучше для самих учеников, их не волнует.

I used будет because we want to stress the copula, but using it in the present tense is reserved for solemn or scientific written language.
    Путь sounds somewhat high-flown, and ли must come second in a sentence.