they hoped to show it to the world

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by CSB2808, Oct 27, 2013.

1. CSB2808 Senior Member

England
    English
    Would this be the right choice of verb and preposition to say "hoping to show it to the world" .o

يأملون يظهروه الى العالم

It doesn't sound great..any suggestions? thanks

2. CSB2808 Senior Member

England
    English
    This is the context of the sentence
    تجمعوا وامسكوا أيديهم فيصنعون سلسلة بشرية عبر الجسر بين باكستان وكشمير في تعبير رمزي التضامن والصمود الذي يأملون يظهروه الى العالم.

3. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    يتمنَّون أن يعرضوه على العالم

Though I'm not entirely sure about how idiomatic this is. You want a native speaker ideally (as always), but on first glance you also want في تعبير رمزي عن التضامن والصمود - the verb is عبّر عن. Also I don't know if امسكوا أيديهم is a good way to express 'take one another's hands' - it's pretty literal, right? And I'd vaguely expect a reciprocal verb here. Wordreference tells me that 'hold hands' (as in two people) is تماسك الأيادي, which makes sense since that ta- often carries reciprocal meaning: 'they held each other's hands'. But really we need a native.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. Bakr Senior Member

Arabic
    I suggest:
    تجمعوا وأمسكوا بأيدي بعضهم البعض وصنعوا سلسلة بشرية عبر الجسر بين باكستان وكشمير في تعبير رمزي عن...ـ

5. CSB2808 Senior Member

England
    English
    Okay cool, well they are literally holding each others hands so that's okay. That's really helpful thank you.