1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

think they own the 'joint'

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Hole, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Hole Senior Member

Zagreb, Croatia
    Croatia - Croatian
    Hi!

Is it possible that "joint" means country? The context: an Australian is criticizing immigrants saying that "they come out here, take your job, think they own the joint". And after that, he says that "bloody joint was never any good anyway". Then he goes on about how he was fighting for his country. I'm not sure what he means by "joint".

2. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    'Joint' would mean 'place'. (building, restaurant, business, home - those kinds of 'places')

"....think they own the place."

You also might hear, "Hey, let's blow this joint." (But that means, "let's leave this place.")

3. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    In a phrase like "They act like they own the joint," "joint" means "place." Metaphorically, it's being used to describe the "country" as if it were a "joint" like a bar or club.

4. Alby84 Senior Member

Boston
    American English
    "Joint" is a slang term for place. I don't believe the man is referring to Australia itself here, but rather whatever place it is that they've been hired. I.e. They come out here, take your job, and then think they own the place (company). This could technically refer to Australia as a whole...but that's a big joint :)

*Edit
    I see three of us basically answered the same thing at the same time here. I think we all agree. Hope it helps :)

5. Hole Senior Member

Zagreb, Croatia
    Croatia - Croatian
    Yes, but when he says that the bloody joint was never any good, I think he is referring to Australia, because he hasn't mentioned any specific place before. Do you agree?

6. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    Well, yes and no. It's not so literal. No one would view Australia as a 'joint'. It's just an idiomatic phrase that means (in this context) "they think they have a right to do what they please, how they please (like only a native should be doing)"

Don't think of it so literally as 'joint = _____'. It's just a set, idiomatic phrase that means "You think this place is yours and you can do as you please."