third-age people caring and entertainment

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by maayani, Aug 16, 2013.

1. maayani Senior Member

Hebrew
    Bonjour,

J'aimerais savoir comment peut-on traduire "Third age people caring and entertainment" en français.

Peut-être - "Soin et divertissement aux personnes âgées"?

Merci d'avance.

2. Reliure

Reliure Senior Member

Bonjour maayani,
    à moins d'utiliser le verbe "prodiguer", je préfère : "Soin et divertissement pour les personnes âgées".
    Sinon, pour "third age people" je conserverais "troisième âge".

3. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

What is the source of this sentence, maayani? Was it written by a native English-speaker?

I have never hear third age used in English in this context. As a native AE-speaker, the term suggests Tolkein's Middle Earth and not an equivalent to the French term, le troisième âge.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. Biguineur Senior Member

FRENCH
    Bonsoir,
    I prefer "loisirs" or "animations" than "divertissement"

5. Omelette

Omelette Senior Member

London
    UK English
  6. mirifica Senior Member

Les Lilas
    French
    Bonjour à tous,

Les soins et les distractions prodigués aux personnes âgées/du 3ème âge.

7. petit1 Senior Member

français - France
    soins et animation auprès des personnes ....

8. nodnol Senior Member

English UK
    If they require care and entertainment, that suggests that they really are old people, and that 3rd age is a euphemism.

Further comments:
    Relating to British society, any particular time 'third age' is used, the context might be enough to tell whether it is 'active seniors' (younger, and almost definitely richer) or a euphemism for what may be called 'the aged' (older, too poor to buy fresh fruit or vegetables or heat more than one room for about 4 hours a day in winter, often lonely, and often with declining mental health.) People with money and good health don't need to be classified by anyone! It would seem stange to call Alan Sugar or Nick Hewer 'an elderly man.'

Another thought: in a French programme about people who use food banks because they can't afford to feed themselves, they are asked: are you poor? They reply 'yes', then rethink, and then say, 'no, not really; I have a proper place to live; some people are homeless; they are poor, I'm not.' I think 'poor' and 'old' might be terms that people are simply reluctant to apply to themselves these days.

9. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

AE usage would prefer senior citizens, or just seniors, for people reaching the age of retirement. People who are older 80+), especially if frail, are called elderly.

10. nodnol Senior Member

English UK
    'Seniors citizens'; I think it sounds American to us, but we do use it. --But i think that the obvious synonyms for third age are 'retired, retirement'.

11. petit1 Senior Member

français - France
    soins et animations auprès des séniors